Votes
Stephen Covel
  • Norfolk, MA
Votes |
Buy and Hold Investor - Looking for a cash flow positive property

Stephen Covel
  • Norfolk, MA
Posted Jul 28 2016, 07:25

New to the forum and site - I am a novice buy and hold investor, looking to find an initial cash flow positive property (and several more). Even with a 25% down payment (typical requirement for a mortgage company/bank) this seems difficult to do in Eastern MA as rents have not appreciated at the same level as property values. I realize there are multiple ways to generate returns (cash flow, amortization of principal, appreciation, tax) - my strategy is hold, generate cash flow, have someone else pay the mortgage and utilize the tax benefits - appreciation is gravy. The cash flow does not need to be high initially but would not like to be negative. I have modeled out the cash flows / total return  and using very conservative assumptions, if you take into account the amortization, you will generate a high single digit, tax free return initially (perhaps much greater as rents/ property values increase - over time) ... this to me is a much more appealing place for a portion of my money than stocks or bonds at this point. - Any thoughts you may have would be appreciated ...

Also does anyone have thoughts on adjacent markets in the area - or across the country that have better returns? 

Thanks 

Loading replies...