Skip to content
Massachusetts Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
Account Closed
  • Ipswich, MA
Votes |
Old "Family" Home: Put it back to Multi-Family?

Account Closed
  • Ipswich, MA
Posted Mar 18 2018, 11:41

Hi BiggerPockets Friends,

From going down so many avenues on how/when to retire.... Due to work finally catching up with me, one of my thoughts I've been throwing around in my head is the following:

The house I am currently living in use to be a two (2) family dwelling. My parents converted the house into a single family (living downstairs, bedrooms upstairs).

The house currently has 2 zones of heat, floor 1 = zone 1, floor 2 = zone 2.

If my calculations are right... My attic has the potential to become a single bedroom apartment (kitchen/living on 1 side, bathroom central in attic, bedroom/living on the other side).

The "Total" renovation... as I see it would be the following.

Floor #1 - Bathroom is currently 1/2 bath. Plumbing from the "old" washing machine hook-up could become shower stall (tub is not an option). Floor #1 - Complete.

Floor #2 - Bedroom above 1st floor kitchen becomes 2nd floor kitchen (the way it use to be). Floor #2 - Complete.

Floor #3 - The hardest: 3rd Zone of heat added, ALL appropriate plumbing / electrical /gas hook-up. Window on either side of attic would have to become doorway... with flight of stairs down either side of house to meet fire code.

I see myself occupying the first floor.

The total breakdown by floor would be as follows:

Floor #1 - 4 rooms, kitchen, full bath (Total = 6).

Floor #2 - 3 rooms, kitchen, laundry, full bath (Total = 6).

Floor #3 - 1 room, kitchen, full bath (Total = 3)

So, My question: Do the projects justify the rental?

Loading replies...