Votes
Ed Maione
  • Franklin, MA
Votes |
Massachusetts Building Codes and DYI

Ed Maione
  • Franklin, MA
Posted Mar 10 2019, 18:53

Hi all - I am about to put an offer on my first flip and am hoping for some input on permits, codes, and DIY. As my dad is a licensed contractor in Rhode Island and as I am very handy as well although not licensed, I'm inclined to do as much of the work ourselves as possible. Obviously any major electrical or plumbing will need to be permitted and performed by a licensed MA contractor but we want to know what exactly we can /should legally do. I'll sum it up in two questions...

1) Assuming full cosmetic rehab, what projects will we need permits and licensed contractors for?

- Roof, siding, windows, doors, kitchen, bath, outlets, lights, flooring (all assuming no structural changes, no plumbing or electrical changes aside from visible fixtures)

2) At what point do we need to bring old systems up to code? This particular property is 1954 so it is very likely that there are plumbing and electrical issues that don't comply with updated codes. Assuming all is safe and working properly, when, if ever, does it become our responsibility to bring everything up to current code? 

Likely going to go down to the permit office and hash it all out with the people who know for sure, but wanted to get some input from those who have figured it out already.

Thanks!

Ed

Loading replies...