Skip to content
Massachusetts Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Andy D.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Votes |
Specific wording around marijuana in lease?

Andy D.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Posted Jul 30 2019, 09:12

Hello, people smarter than me!

I noticed last time I renewed my tenants' leases (MA) that there's a new clause in the BP-provided form about cannabis usage, with some really draconian-sounding restrictions on it (text below). Is this over-the-top, or a response to recent legalization? Do y'all even try to enforce this? I have no moral or logistical problem with people smoking pot, especially if they're outside - I just told them no smoking indoors and left it at that. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Clause wording:

To the maximum extent permitted by law, Tenant shall not be permitted to, and shall not

permit any family, visiting friends, dependents, guests, licensees or invitees of Tenant to grow, produce,

possess, consume, use, smoke, or ingest any marijuana, cannabis or any products or ingestibles containing

marijuana or cannabis in any location in, on or about the Premises; the foregoing prohibition to be

absolute and without exception and shall include any growing, production, possession, use or

consumption pursuant to any medical use or medical prescription, or any medical, retail or recreational

marijuana activities that may otherwise be permitted under any local, state or federal laws, rules or

regulations now or hereafter in effect. Tenant’s violation of this Section shall be an immediate and

incurable Default of this Lease.

Loading replies...