• Wholesaler
  • Florida
Votes |
Repairing/Replacing Appliances in Michigan

Philip L.
  • Wholesaler
  • Florida
Posted Oct 24 2021, 07:40

A couple of questions regarding appliances for rental properties in Michigan - I've done some online research and I am getting mixed info.

1. What appliances do you have to provide by law?

2. We have a single family house in SCS Mi - When we purchased the house it came with the following appliances, Fridge, dishwasher, oven, washer, dryer. we rented the house with these appliances and now the washer is broken - who is responsible for repairs and replacement appliances?

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Oct 24 2021, 08:31

Michigan has no laws about appliances - not to be confused with mechanicals (furance & hot water heater).

Your liability depends on what your lease states.

Our lease states appliances are supplied for tenant convienence, but we don't have to fix them.

Of course, tenants NEVER read their lease and alwasy seem to think they're staying in a hotel and a landlord has to do EVERYTHING for them.

So, in realtiy, we fix appliances for good tenants so they stay. We don't fix them for tenants we don't want to renew.

User Stats

Votes
Scott M.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Rochester Hills, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Rochester Hills, MI
Replied Oct 24 2021, 08:52

Unless your lease has a clause or something that says the tenant is responsible for the washer you are going to be on the hook.  Again, assuming it is not stipulated in the lease you rented it with one in place, you might have mentioned that in your advertising as well or during the walkthrough, I mean, it is an amenity so most would mention it.  While there is no state law that makes you provide it, you did and therefore would be considered your responsibility (unless your lease states otherwise).

Lesson to learn here is if you are going to provide washer/dryers and don't want to be responsible to fix them up, change your lease.  

Law doesn't require you to provide appliances in MI but local norms do.  And in SCS it is typical to provide kitchen appliances and it is spotty on the washer/dryer.  Some do, some don't, no absolute norm.  

All things considered this is a cheap lesson in real estate.  Fix it, replace it, change your lease if that is of interest and lesson learned.  

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Philip L.
  • Wholesaler
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Florida
Replied Oct 25 2021, 05:37

@Drew Sygit and @Scott M. thanks for the info guys I'm learning something new everyday looks like I am going to have to get this replaced and updated my rental agreements for future tenants.