• Lincoln/Omaha, NE
Votes |
Young Professional Looking to Help & Learn in Omaha/Lincoln

Merrett Lane
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lincoln/Omaha, NE
Posted Apr 11 2020, 15:02

Hey everyone, 

I am brand new to the BP site but I've been listening to BP podcasts and doing research for awhile now. A little background: I received my bachelor of science in Biological Systems Engineering from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln last year and am currently a water/wastewater (civil) engineer working full-time for a consulting firm in Lincoln, NE. I grew up in Omaha and my father owns, rehabs, and manages several properties, mostly in North Omaha. 

I am reaching out because I want to get some field experience before I start building my portfolio. My dad is a physical-labor kind of guy and although I've learned a lot of trade-skills from him, I lack exposure to the financial nuances of buying and selling property. 

I'm looking for opportunities to expand my knowledge of the home buying/selling process. I think any experience that I can earn now will pay off once I decide to start looking at properties of my own. Whether that means developing a relationship with a local investor, performing analysis, or doing side-gigs, I'm not really sure the best way to go about it. I can provide value with my strong background in math and interest/ROR analysis among other skills. I don't want to exploit anyone, but rather provide a mutually beneficial relationship.  

If anyone has tips on what helped them make forward-progress as a young investor or ways to gain exposure to the field, please share.

Thanks!   

Loading replies...