New Hampshire Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Hoang Bui
Votes |
To Renew Lease or Not - COVID-19

Hoang Bui
Posted Jun 27 2020, 12:00

I have two tenants that currently occupy one of my units at the moment. For background, the couple is in their late 20s. Both work in restaurants, and have been out of jobs since late March/early April. They made one payment for April and May in late May from their unemployment benefit, and currently owe me the rents for June and July. The lease I have with them ends on July 31st, and I am debating whether I should terminate the lease with them or not? 

There are a few concerns with me renewing the lease with them:

1. It doesn't seem they are making a lot of efforts on paying rents. The first thing they told me when the eviction ban was initiated was that they would be taking advantage of it as long as it is in place (not exactly reassuring to hear for a live-in landlord). Regardless, I have let them know that it's understandable, and never nagged them on the rent. They made one payment in May for May and April, and currently owe me rent for June and July. 

However, while I understand that they both work in restaurants, with the economy partly open today, they still haven't gotten back to work. And it doesn't seem they are making efforts to find any other jobs for the last three months or so. They are in their 20s, young and healthy. I am worried that they are counting on employment benefits to last through the next couple of months. When a second wave of COVID-19 hits, I think they will be skipping the rent again.

2. I don't particularly like them. They are difficult to deal with. One of the toilets was leaking (broken flapper), and they wouldn't let me in to replace the flapper unless somebody is home (it took 4 weeks to repair). The guy once sent me a text demanding me to evict one of the tenants because the other tenant had way too many people over (I didn't have a problem with it, why should they?). He once carried one of his rifles walking around the neighborhood. 

The only reason that I am debating over this is that they did just have their baby in June. I don't want to put them out on the street with their baby. But at the same time, I just feel that they haven't made a lot of effort paying rent and don't seem to be willing to go back to work. What do you think I should do, and what are some of the considerations if I renew or don't renew the lease with them?

Loading replies...