Daljit Singh
  • Union City, NJ
Votes |
Closing on Property in Union City - Rate lock/lending question

Daljit Singh
  • Union City, NJ
Posted Nov 28 2021, 12:51

Hi BP, 

I'm in the process of closing on first property, a 2-family house hack in Union city. I was waiting on the Certificate of Occupancy and Smoke Cert before scheduling a closing date. 

Towards the beginning of November, my loan officer recommended locking in a rate, I decided to wait because we were not sure when the closing date would be because we were waiting on the Certificate of Occupancy and Smoke Cert. I wanted to avoid paying any rate lock extension fee's in the event that it could take more than 30-45 days to get the Certs. At this time loan officer was able to lock in a rate around 3.1-3.2%. 

A few weeks have gone by and my agent has told me that we've gotten the Certs and can schedule the closing date. I updated my lender. However, now the rate that I will be receiving is around 3.625%. I'm a bit bummed because I could have locked a lower rate for 45 days in the beginning of November. 

What can I do to possibly get a lower rate? It is possible to negotiate with the lender if I have another lender that can provide a lower rate? or am I stuck with the 3.6% rate? The 3.6% rate would add an extra $300 to my monthly payment and make this deal less ideal that what it initially was. 

Thanks in advance! 

User Stats

Votes
Luke Pontier
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Montclair, NJ
Votes |
  • Montclair, NJ
Replied Nov 28 2021, 13:13

Unfortunately, rates have gone up within the past month, so there’s no guarantee that other lenders would have a better rate. At this stage in the process, it would also be difficult to find a lender that could meet your time constraints with a closing imminent. If you are more worried about long term expenses than initial cash output at closing, you can buy “points” with your lender, which will lower your rate in exchange for an upfront cash payment. 

User Stats

Votes
Daljit Singh
  • Union City, NJ
Votes |
  • Union City, NJ
Replied Nov 30 2021, 20:29

Thank you! I've stuck with my current lender on this one, it doesn't seem like there is any other way to get a lower rate at this point in time in the process.  @Luke Pontier@Luke Pontier

@Luke Pontier

@Luke Pontier

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mark F.
  • Bergen County, NJ
Votes |
  • Bergen County, NJ
Replied Dec 1 2021, 09:14

Originally posted by @Daljit Singh:

Thank you! I've stuck with my current lender on this one, it doesn't seem like there is any other way to get a lower rate at this point in time in the process.  @Luke Pontier@Luke Pontier

I just got quoted 2.3 or 2.7% for FHA loan as the rates dropped this week. Call them back or find a new lender? 

@Luke Pontier

User Stats

Votes
Daljit Singh
  • Union City, NJ
Votes |
  • Union City, NJ
Replied Dec 1 2021, 11:03

Hi @Mark F. Thanks! I will see what we can do here. I may need to reach back out and see if they can do better. I've just connected with another lender and the rate that they provided is 2.6%. Do you have a recommended lender you can refer me to? 

User Stats

Votes
Mark F.
  • Bergen County, NJ
Votes |
  • Bergen County, NJ
Replied Dec 1 2021, 14:34

Todd at Brightwire loans. This will be my third transaction with him. 

http://brightwireloans.com/phone/index.html

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 19 2022, 13:16

HI @Daljit Singh, Congrats! We are actually looking for something similar in UC ( I grew up in hudson county), would love to hear more about your experience and your deal!!!

User Stats

Votes
Daljit Singh
  • Union City, NJ
Votes |
  • Union City, NJ
Replied Jan 20 2022, 07:22

Hi @Zadith Pino happy to chat! Feel free to send over a DM. 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Soto
  • Newark, NJ
Votes |
  • Newark, NJ
Replied Jan 25 2022, 07:52

hey did you close yet? 

since rates have gone up unfortunately. rates are even higher now.

you can always pay down the rate by buying points. but depends on your strategy it may not make sense.

User Stats

Votes
Daljit Singh
  • Union City, NJ
Votes |
  • Union City, NJ
Replied Jan 25 2022, 08:22

@Jonathan Soto Thanks for sharing. Yes, I have closed on the property! I was able to get 3.25% rate and happy with it.