New Jersey Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes

Rental Properties in Hudson County/Essex County

Posted Jan 21 2022, 13:20

I have one rental property (in Jersey City) and setting myself up now to purchase my second rental. Does anyone have suggestions on locations in Hudson and Essex County that might be a bit cheaper but solid for rentals? Looking for anything under 300k.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Tverdov
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Replied Jan 21 2022, 17:29

In those counties for under 300k your only option is really Newark or maybe a really dilapidated area of JC. Taxes crush ROI in those counties.

User Stats

Votes
Christene Martin
  • Lender
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Jersey City, NJ
Replied Jan 22 2022, 18:43

I have had good luck in Guttenberg. Happy to chat with you about the area and possibilities there. 

User Stats

Votes
William Kwong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Jersey City, NJ
Replied Jan 24 2022, 16:37

Hey @Matt Berte, hope all is well. Are you looking for condos? Multi fam wise I haven't seen anything in these areas for under 300K. Condo wise, I'd just keep an eye out for West New York or even Weehawken. Only issue is..a decent amount of them have a 2 year minimum owner occupancy and the HOA's tend to ruin the CoCROI unfortunately. Maybe some parts of Newark but that's difficult as well.

Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Marin
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Newark, NJ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Newark, NJ
Replied Feb 15 2022, 14:29

@Matt Berte

Hi, the only places in Essex or Hudson county you'll find anything under $300K are in Irvington and the most dilapidated parts of Jersey City and Newark.  Unless you have experience investing in those areas I wouldn't suggest it.  Save some more money and begin looking in North Newark where you will be able to find some decent deals that need work above $400k