• Realtor
  • Nazareth, PA
Votes |
Need some advice. NJ Tenant paying really late . Lease up 2/28/19

Bryan Tomko
  • Realtor
  • Nazareth, PA
Posted Jan 20 2019, 13:51

Hi everyone. I recently purchase a 2 unit property in Phillipsburg, NJ . I own a sfh rental in Pa. This is our first Multifamily. Shortly before closing i sent out a letter to tenants informing them of my purchase and how to pay rent. Downstairs tenant quickly set up payments but upstairs was very slow to register for payments. November 1st came and went and i reached out to them on 11/5 to let them know late fee would be assessed following day . A payment quickly processed for half of rent and I quickly told them that this was not acceptable. The response was would you rather have half than nothing lol.  They paid balance following week. I did offer to set a payment plan up to catch them up . Basically fell on deaf ears. Fast forward to last month I had a bit of a heated exchange with the husband who basically told me to try and evict him. I sent out 10 day notice to cease and they paid up. This month same thing. Question is how much should i raise rent to try and get them out? I am told as long as they keep paying, all be it late  i may have to evict them anyway . but my thought is they won't be able to pay higher rent. Any advice is appreciated!

Loading replies...