Skip to content
New York Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Megan S.
  • Saugerties, NY
Votes |
Best place to invest in the Hudson River Valley (upstate NY)?

Megan S.
  • Saugerties, NY
Posted Jun 26 2017, 12:21

Hi, BP friends! 

I'm looking to invest in a multi-family property (BRRR) in upstate NY, and have been exploring Newburgh, Kingston, Cornwall-on-Hudson, Coldspring, Beacon, and Poughkeepsie.

I'm new to this area - does anyone have thoughts or insight into these markets? Maybe you own a rental in one of the cities above and have some lessons learned you could share? Any investor-friendly realtors I should work with? Tax breaks for renovations I should know about?

Thanks in advance!

-Megan

User Stats

Votes
Tom Ham
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saugerties, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saugerties, NY
Replied Oct 30 2017, 08:34

Megan,

Sorry for the late reply. I have been traveling a lot. Sunday's are best for me if you want to meet.

User Stats

Votes
Evelyn Zanetti
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Feb 17 2018, 10:13

Hello, I just found this very interesting feed and I would like to get your opinion on investing in the Hudson valley. I bought a two family brick property in Hudson NY in 2014 and I would like to sell it to buy in an upcoming Hudson Valley town. Do you think it's a good time to sell?

I would be interesting in buying in Newburgh mainly to fix and flip a property, any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

Evelyn

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied Feb 17 2018, 15:14

Evelyn Zanetti you had great timing in Hudson!

I would say I’m Newburgh biased, I think it’s really taking off right now. It’s hard to find a block that hasn’t seen progress and some areas are complete turnarounds.

We have a newburgh Meetup in the AM once a month. There is also a weekend meetup in newburgh and another in Brooklyn...I help with the AM one. I’ll post back here when it’s set.

Also there is a local newburgh broker on here. Check out Sarah Hooff. Sarah is involved in the weekend meetups

User Stats

Votes
Kimberly DiMarino
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Hawthorne, NY
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Hawthorne, NY
Replied Feb 17 2018, 15:44

@John Hickey Can you tell me when the next Newburgh meetup is?  Either weekend or morning one. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Tone Church
  • Goshen, NY
Votes |
  • Goshen, NY
Replied Feb 17 2018, 22:00

@Evelyn Zanetti and @John Hickey - I am interested in the Newburgh REI group as well. When and where do they meet and is there more information on them anywhere online? I've seen it mentioned in another post as well.

User Stats

Votes
Evelyn Zanetti
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Feb 19 2018, 13:44

Thank you all for replying and your valued suggestions!

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Hooff
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Newburgh, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Newburgh, NY
Replied Feb 20 2018, 15:40

Thank you for shout out @John Hickey I am also madly Newburgh biased. I work in real estate exclusively in this city. 

Purchase prices and rents are going up exponentially and steadily, respectively. It's an interesting time for Newburgh, and there is a need for competent, long-sighted, proactive, and ethical landlords. As a real estate agent, I love drawing clients from Bigger pockets; I find them to be intelligent and high-minded, and generally fun people to help! 

User Stats

Votes
Evelyn Zanetti
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Feb 20 2018, 15:54

Thank you Sarah, and thank you @John Hickey I would be interested in seeing some properties, very reasonably priced for all cash offers. How can that be arranged?

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied Feb 25 2018, 14:38

Evelyn Zanetti I’m not an agent. If I hear of market stuff I’ll DM you. Reach out to Sarah.

User Stats

Votes
Colin Friend
  • New Paltz, NY
Votes |
  • New Paltz, NY
Replied Dec 23 2019, 11:27

I know this post is kind of old, but I found it via Google search as I am looking to get into the Hudson Valley multi-family market.  I'm interested specifically in New Paltz and Uptown Kingston.  I've recently moved from Colorado, would anyone have any recommendations for local agents who are investor friendly?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Tom Ham
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saugerties, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saugerties, NY
Replied Jan 7 2020, 16:33

Collin,

I've been busy and don't monitor this site much but I can tell you uptown Kingston is a great market. There is a lot of demand for rentals. Like anywhere, there are good and bad areas and they are often separated by only one block. As for a realtor, I can't say enough about Sharon Farley at Murphy Realty. I have worked with her for several years now. She does a great job of understanding the buyer and will be honest with you about a property or location.

happy hunting,

TOm

User Stats

Votes
Vincent M.
  • Investor
  • Westchester Co., NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Westchester Co., NY
Replied Feb 15 2020, 05:08

@tom ham What are the drivers for the Kingston market. I am not familiar with the area

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 6 2021, 16:07

Hey everyone.. I know this is a very old thread. Is anyone still looking and/or meeting up in Newburgh? I just moved to Beacon and am constantly looking at the super low priced opportunities across the river...

User Stats

Votes
James Caporiccio
  • Investor
  • Newburgh, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Newburgh, NY
Replied May 14 2021, 06:31

@Arthur Hicks The Newburgh meet up was hosted by the Orange County Real Estate Investors club. They stopped in person meet ups through covid. Next month is the first new in person meet up, it will be in Monroe at 6pm on June 2nd at Tequilla Grill.