Some Raleigh Durham Questions

15 Replies

Hello,

Happy New Year! I have two specific questions related to the Raleigh/Durham area as a potential OOS investor. 

1. Why does everyone want to live in West Raleigh? (Cary, Morrisville, Apex)

2. What is the area between Bethesda and Joyland like? (crime, age of the neighborhoods)

@Kristyn Grimes

1. Because it is the area that is one of the most built up. The west side of Raleigh has long been a place a lot of people want to live. Lots of good schools, businesses and amenities are over there. I would say if it wasn’t for those items, it is also close to most of the jobs in the area. Close access to 40 and RTP.

2.Not a Durham expert so will leave it to Durham pros.

Thank you Mitch!

Originally posted by @Mitch Miller :

@Kristyn Grimes

1. Because it is the area that is one of the most built up. The west side of Raleigh has long been a place a lot of people want to live. Lots of good schools, businesses and amenities are over there. I would say if it wasn’t for those items, it is also close to most of the jobs in the area. Close access to 40 and RTP.

2.Not a Durham expert so will leave it to Durham pros.

Kristyn, a great website we use for crime is spotcrime dot com (unfortunately I don’t think bigger pockets let’s me use the exact writing to create an easy hyperlink but I’m sure you get it).  And @Vinay Kolluru lives over in that area so hopefully he can provide better feedback on your questions. 

1.  Cary has a pleasant acronym  Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.  It's where a lot of peole from New York or New Jersey moved to, so that has bumped up the real estate values substantially.  Morrisville is a way station between Raleigh and the RTP area or the RDU airport.  Nothing special about Apex.

2.  I am not familiar with these places.  However Durham has more rough neighborhoods than Raleigh or Chapel Hill.  There are places in Durham I would not go unless it is daylight!

@Kristyn Grimes

Hey there

I just moved to Cary NC and also lived in Apex, Raleigh , Durham , Chapel Hill for a while before that via Airbnb to check out the area.

This is my observation and my opinion, Raleigh and Durham are the cities , therefore one street can be really bad but the next street can be really good. Not really my thing to invest in coin flips which is why I did not buy in those areas, really have to know those areas to buy.

Apex is nice with newer houses but doing anything will take a 15 minute drive unless it is a house downtown or near beaver creek shopping center. The Airbnb j stayed in was a big mansion but again, it took 30 minute round trips just to buy groceries. Not sure how it will rent but for me I would not live there unless I was a old retired man with nothing to do

Chapel Hill has the best schools and also the highest taxes. It is also home to Unc so it has a college town vibe. I prefer Chapel Hill over Durham or Raleigh if I were to buy an investment property as renting to college students is what I would do.

Cary and Morrisville are pretty much the same place. From what I have seen so far living here over a year , it is the nicer 2 towns in the Triangle area IMO . Also West Cary (bordering Morrisville) is the better part of Cary from living here. This area is pretty much the “keeping with the Jonases” area. There are guys paying 40k to join the Prestonwood country club etc (link for an application if you want to join https://www.ginamiller.com/site_data/ginamiller1/editor_assets/doc04160020180424121136.pdf)

I am not in that class of people that can afford 40k to join the country club but from my research, West Cary was where I wanted to be and I did not regret my decision. It is the desirable area, only other place I can think of which has the allure is Irvine California. Zillow is also predicting 9.5% appreciation for the area next year as well so that helps as well.

Hope my opinion helps , even though I have only been here a little bit over a year

Kristyn,

1. I have lived in Durham my entire life except for my college years. When I moved back to town my wife and I moved to the border of Durham and Morrisville. We were attracted to the area because there is tons of new development, restaurant's, outdoor amenities (trails, parks, etc). The Morrisville area is also centrally located between Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill so you can get to any of the downtowns within 15 minutes. It is great for people who want to be out and about doing stuff. Durham is great but only has a few newer developed areas. They're working on more though!

2. Joyland and Bethesda are not so great areas of Durham, I would look elsewhere unless you can find a deal you can't refuse.

@Kristyn Grimes

In general... And this is not the dynamic just in this metro = the nicer place(s) may choose to live do not pencil out for investment returns.  If you are seeking cash flow, you won't be able to buy in the A/B neighborhoods generally because the rent/value ratio is relatively low.  You could go for an appreciation play, but that's not a sure thing.

I live in Cary but invest mostly in Raleigh, Durham, Holly Springs and Chapel Hill. In fact I just bought another SFH as a rental in Durham close to RTP. If you are looking in that area try looking within 5 miles radius of RTP because there are lots of high tech well paying jobs there. Stay away from areas closer to downtown due to crime as there been a huge uptick in shootings in those places lately.

@Calvin Lin is right. Anywhere near RTP is great. There is a huge commercial development coming called Hub RTP. There are also multiple large medical and tech companies that’s announced they’re moving into RTP in 2021. I live right outside of RTP now and love it.

Hi @Kristyn Grimes

1. The suburbs on the West side of Raleigh are very desirable due to the fact that they are built up and some of the lifestyle factors they offer. Those areas have great schools throughout, great parks and trails, are "safe", are relatively close to the airport and to RTP, and are relatively convenient to get to downtown Raleigh or over to Durham. These areas are a great place to live and especially are attractive to people with families so there is always a demand.

2. As some people have mentioned those areas can be rough but there are other parts of Durham that I personally like quite a bit as investment areas. I'd be happy to connect sometime and give you my opinion if that helps. Best of luck!