• Rental Property Investor
Votes |
The cost to build ADU in NC

Jin Zhang
Pro Member
Posted Nov 2 2022, 15:15

Hi everyone, 

Anyone has experience with the cost of building an ADU in NC? What is the cost for a 800 sq ft and 1200 sq ft ADU? How about the price to convert a two car garage? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best,

Jin 

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie Meeks
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 2 2022, 17:22

Hi Jin,

I have not built an ADU before, but the idea has always been very interesting to me. I invest in NC and might look into ADU's as an option in the future. The market I invest in allows ADU's in certain zoning but requires that an additional off-street parking spot is constructed or already available so consider parking availability before making any moves. The best estimates I could find when researching this myself last year was between $140-$200 per sqft depending on location, quality etc. If you want to look at worst case scenario, the cost to build two ADU's, 800sqft and 1200sqft could be as little as $250k and as much as $400k. NC doesn't have the housing shortages that California or other states have so building an ADU may not produce the returns as they could elsewhere though.

Converting garages is probably the way I would go. The market I invest in has plenty of 3/2 SFH's, but very few 4 beds or greater. Converting garages will (for me) be the most profitable value add in my market in NC, and one that I would recommend. The costs for conversion are significantly lower and much easier to control.

User Stats

Votes
Jin Zhang
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 2 2022, 20:35
Quote from @Stephanie Meeks:

Hi Jin,

I have not built an ADU before, but the idea has always been very interesting to me. I invest in NC and might look into ADU's as an option in the future. The market I invest in allows ADU's in certain zoning but requires that an additional off-street parking spot is constructed or already available so consider parking availability before making any moves. The best estimates I could find when researching this myself last year was between $140-$200 per sqft depending on location, quality etc. If you want to look at worst case scenario, the cost to build two ADU's, 800sqft and 1200sqft could be as little as $250k and as much as $400k. NC doesn't have the housing shortages that California or other states have so building an ADU may not produce the returns as they could elsewhere though.

Converting garages is probably the way I would go. The market I invest in has plenty of 3/2 SFH's, but very few 4 beds or greater. Converting garages will (for me) be the most profitable value add in my market in NC, and one that I would recommend. The costs for conversion are significantly lower and much easier to control.

Hi Stephanie, Thank you for the detailed reply! This is very helpful. Really appreciate that you shared so much insights with me. Thanks!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Shonda Sutton
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied Jan 2 2023, 19:16

Hi! I'm very involved in the Tiny Home & ADU Marketplace. I can also assist with design & contract services for your garage conversion if you decide to go that route. Feel free to contact me directly, I'm in Greensboro:) Thanks!