• Chesapeake, VA
Votes |
Financing Options in NC

Nate McGee
  • Investor
  • Chesapeake, VA
Posted Jun 24 2019, 07:11

Hello BP!

I'm currently living in Virginia where I am house hacking a duplex that I bought in March of 2017 with an FHA loan. What I'm trying to do is move myself and my family down to NC where I can continue to expand my real estate portfolio. The area I plan to relocate to is somewhere around Research Triangle Park/Raleigh/Durham (or any of the outlying cities). The investments I'm looking for are small multi-family properties (2-4 units) and I'm investing for cash flow. I hope that covers the basic info needed.

What I'm trying to understand is my financing options. What I would like to do is do another FHA so that I can house-hack again. I've read that if you are moving more then 100 miles away from your current residence then you can get another FHA if you are relocating/have relocated for an employment related reason. Is this rule still applicable today in 2019 or has there been any changes? What does employment related reason entail? Does my company have to request that I relocate? Can I be interviewing for another job in NC and consider that as an employment related reason (even if I haven't gotten the job yet)?

To be clear, I'm not trying the be deceptive with getting another FHA, I'm just trying to know how I could get another one (if possible). If I can't get another FHA, what other options are there for me in order to be able to purchase small multi-family properties with a small down payment? Is there a first time home owner loan in NC that can be used for someone moving into NC, or do you have to be a resident already? Are there other low down payment options where I can purchase multi-family properties with? If anyone has this information handy, that would be great. But if you don't and you know a mortgage broker or someone else who might, I would appreciate the referral. If you have any questions for me, please let me know. Thank you much!

Loading replies...