Madison Homes - Homebuilders

3 Replies

I stumbled upon Madison Homes here in the Charlotte area and they have some fairly reasonable floor plan pricing. Caveat is that you have to have land for them to build. Would something like this be profitable being that they pay for everything until the end? You aren’t required to stay in it you can sale it as they are building.

Originally posted by @Travontaz Lowry :

I stumbled upon Madison Homes here in the Charlotte area and they have some fairly reasonable floor plan pricing. Caveat is that you have to have land for them to build. Would something like this be profitable being that they pay for everything until the end? You aren’t required to stay in it you can sale it as they are building.

The short answer is your build could be profitable, but without details it's hard to know. Are you looking at building on multiple lots or is this for yourself? Details include new or existing subdivision ordinances, if lots are platted already, site improvements, utility taps and who is responsible, on and on. 

Would likely stay for a year but they offer the ability to sale and or rent before the building is even finished. And not multiple lots but depending on land size could build 1 or more homes. But I only know the general knowledge of it.

If you plan to involve anyone else (a future buyer, a future lender, etc.) then you'll want one home per lot. Things get screwy if you build w/o dividing the lot. Depending on the county, some will let you split a lot and build on each without any special permits, and others (Sampson county NC) will make you follow their subdivision rules even if the lots share an existing common road. My point is, some counties are easier to deal with (e.g. Columbus county NC) than others. 

Madison Homes doesn't operate in central or eastern NC where I am, but from what I've seen I like their business model. I'm looking for a similar operator in central/eastern NC where I hope to subdivide some of our silviculture lots that will perc (or perc on the "A" lot.)