Foundation Issues on Modular Home

4 Replies

We are looking at our first investment property. It is a modular home that appears to have serious foundation issues. Does anyone have experience with this or have recommendations for contractors in the Akron/Canton area they would like to refer.

@Aurora Cooper wow that’s pretty bad from what I can see in the photos. What is the cause of this? Water? Termites? Is the floor on the inside sagging or anything? Could be a relatively easy fix or could be something you really want to stay away from unless the price reflected it.

Looks bad but could very well be an opportunity, if you have a contractor up for the challenge. Like Thomas says, make sure the price reflects the amount of work. Need more pictures to really be able to tell.

This type of work is fairly easy if you know what you are doing, just time consuming and bit of a pain working in tight quarters. As an investor, you should use this as leverage to make a good buy. They probably would be willing to take any offer they can get. 

Originally posted by @Thomas Jackson :

@Aurora Cooper wow that’s pretty bad from what I can see in the photos. What is the cause of this? Water? Termites? Is the floor on the inside sagging or anything? Could be a relatively easy fix or could be something you really want to stay away from unless the price reflected it.

Some areas of the floor are sagging. Looks to be mainly water damage. 

Bill and Thomas - the price will definitely need to reflect the amount of work

Also need to determine the source of the water intrusion. Is it coming down the walls and rotting from outside in (most likely)? Or is it coming from a leak in the roof and affecting it from the inside out (less likely) ?

If I had to guess this is happening in the front door area and there is no porch overhang. 

If it is just in one or two localized areas, this could mean opportunity. If it is throughout, and all or most joists are affected then I would pass. It would seem very rare that ALL the joist are affected except on really old houses.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here