Votes
Lindsay Kuzara
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Risk V reward on BRRR opportunity

Lindsay Kuzara
  • New to Real Estate
Posted Jan 18 2022, 20:11

Hey BP! I'm currently under contract on my first investment property and am looking for some pro tips and advice. 

Property: distressed 1975 SF in central Oregon, lot is sized to accommodate an ADU. Property needs rehab, most components are original to home. Budgeting $40K to bring it value, will be DIYing most of it, including kitchen, floors, paint, replacing windows, removal of popcorn ceilings.

It's a tough market here, so I'm not necessarily purchasing at a DEAL, but it's fairly priced considering condition and market. 

Im looking for feedback on what I've identified as risk in the current situation:

-since it's pre 1978, lead paint and asbestos may be present. Is it wise to get tested, or just act as if it's there and take all precautions?  Ive read mixed things on DIYing an older home.. 

-anyone run into issues with renters because of an older home due to these potential hazards? 

My dilemma is I feel there is a lot of opportunity with this particular home and lot as an ADU can be added ( as long term or STR) however am concerned with the potential risks (both cost and tenant facing) with it being a pre 78 home.

Any thoughts or advice? I don't have a broker, I'm representing myself on my first transaction... 

Loading replies...