Medha Nanal
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Composite Decking - questions/information/experiences

Medha Nanal
  • Rental Property Investor
Posted Jul 22 2020, 17:20

Hello,

I have a rental property (SFR) in a good area in Portland Metro area in Oregon. The deck is up for repair and there's much damage, therefore I am considering getting the deck replaced.

Based on my research composite material is the way to go, however, I also hear that composite wood is soft and scratches easily with pets. We do allow pets at our property.

Is this information correct? The modern composite materials IMO are 100% recycled plastic and there's little wood in it. Composite decking was suggested by the contractor due to its durability, however, he also mentioned it will need to be painted over -- which, again, is against my research findings. Therefore, what I'd like to hear from the community:

-- is composite decking a material of choice for a rental property for durability? Will it be scratch resistant? (I am aware of a higher cost, and I am willing to invest if there is ROI).

-- does composite deck have to be painted over?

-- Would you recommend Aluminum railing over composite railing? (Again, my information is Aluminum decking is expensive, but will it have advantages over composite railing aside from the sleek appearance?)

-- Have you heard of a brand called Deckorators for composite decking? Any specific grade that you would like to use?

For the purpose of comparables, the property is located in a stable middle-class neighborhood; with the overall neighborhood quality improving due to improving schools etc. Tenant profile is young urban families with children, with often 2 working adults, and in corporate jobs.

Loading replies...