• Rental Property Investor
  • Erie, PA
Votes |
Pennsylvania House Bill 71

Karl B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Erie, PA
Posted Jun 19 2019, 15:06

The Erie Apartment Association where some of my rentals are located sent me an e-mail. Since they want Pennsylvania landlords to know about it I don't believe they'll mind me copying and pasting: 

"CALL TO ACTION for HB 71House Bill 71 was introduced by Rep. Greg Rothman. If it becomes law, it will shorten the eviction process. It would allow the landlord to obtain an order of possession immediately after the court decides an eviction case in favor of the landlord, instead of having to wait 10 days to allow the tenant to appeal.The order of possession would then be served on the tenant, and the eviction could take place on the 12th day after being served, unless an appeal is filed within 10 days after the court decision. The 10 day appeal period would run concurrently with the 12 days provided under the order of possession, thereby shortening the eviction process by 8 days.

The current eviction process takes a minimum of 38 days. Shortening it by 8 days would allow it to be completed before another month's rent comes due - rent which is not included in the landlord's money judgment obtained in the eviction case. Rent which could not be recovered without filing another separate legal case against the tenant.

HB 71 only shortens the time it takes to complete the eviction process, it does not affect the due process rights of either the tenant or the landlord.

You can determine who your PA House Member is, and obtain their contact information from the following web site:

www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/findyourlegislator/index.cfm

Thank you for your prompt action.

CONTACT YOUR REPRESENTATIVE NOW!"

Loading replies...