Timothy Lon
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pittsburgh: Looking for either MFR Househack or SFR

Timothy Lon
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Posted May 26 2016, 02:19

Hello All,

So I'm looking for some personal opinion, preferences, and insight.

I'm beginning the search for my second property (first closes on 7/8 hopefully) and I would like to either use the FHA and 3.5% down route to buy more, and purchase a 2-4 unit, living in one side for at least a year, aka a househack,

or,

I would like to find an area in the Greater Pittsburgh area, SFR, for about $165,000 or less (this would ensure I'm paying less on the mortgage then I currently am while I'm renting, with the intent to make larger payments I'm used to making and paying it down quicker). I know appreciation can be a gamble, as compared to cash flow. So, while being able to rent it out when I move and cash flow (even if it's still highly leveraged with the same initial mortgage payment) I would also like a place that is at least stable, with a decent chance for appreciation.

I have begun to look in areas such as Moon, Mt. Lebanon, and Dormont to keep the commute to work 45 minutes or less.

Does anyone have any personal opinions, hack vs. SFR, as well as locations to begin looking for both.

Thank you.

Loading replies...