Investing in Erie, Pennsylvania

47 Replies

I'm going to chime in this discussion... Hello guys!

I live in Crawford County (just south of Erie) but I do belong to the Northwest PA Apartment Owner's Association which is centered in Erie, PA.  We do have monthly meetings covering all different real estate topics!  The site is www.aptassoc.com and is a local chapter of PROA and NREIA.  It is not expensive to join and the networking is great!  If you want to call them and get set up, let them know that I referred you.  We do not currently own any properties in Erie but thought maybe that information would be helpful to you guys.  I would be interested in any meet up that is set up! Keep me posted as well

This post has been removed.

Hi Everyone! I'm also glad to see some local discussion about real estate investing in Erie. I actually live and work in Corry, PA, but I make it to Erie quite often. I closed on my first duplex property in December of 2016, but I'm also heavily involved in self storage/portable storage. I own 40 portable storage units and I'm hoping to close on my first self storage facility soon, which would boost me to over 130 units. My duplex is in Corry, however I plan to be an active investor in the Erie market as well. My background is in finance as I worked as a financial analyst for several years and I'm passionate about all things investing.

I also work as a Commercial Insurance Agent so I would love to connect with local investors to share investment experiences and resources, but also help with your insurance needs as you progress in your investment careers.

Thanks Billie! That's great, I would love to attend one. What time is the meeting? I'm not sure I'll be able to make this Thursday, but I certainly would like to in the future.

Wow! Lot of young investors making moves in Erie, PA! Just wanted to throw my name into the hat as well. Have lots of questions about investing in Erie, would love to meet up and chat too! 

check out my uncle's work at the PACA performing creative arts center. I believe it is on state street. His name is Mark Tanenbaum. My dad and uncles grew up there and we go back about once a year to visit extended family. I hear the prices are low but so are the chances for appreciation/population growth.

Hello everyone, I just found the bigger pockets forum I am new to investing . Just would like to say hi. I know this thread has been dormant fo a while but I’m excited to find Erie mentioned on BP.

I guess I will throw my "hat into the ring" for this conversation.  There are a couple options for everyone to meet up, if you all are still looking to do some networking.  The Apartment Association of NW PA has dinner/educational meetings every month (except in the summer) and there is also networking event called Cashflow and Cocktails that me and another investor started up last fall.  I know some of you on this thread, but for those of you I don't, come say hi at one of the meet ups, or if you happen to start hosting one, drop me a line and let me know when and where.  Hope to meet you all soon!

This post has been removed.

Sorry I'm a little late to the party here, i just joined! I've lived in Erie the past 20 years and have been investing since 2013. This is a great town for buy and hold properties for sure. Pretty hard to find a good fix and flip deal, but I have still seen it done if you are smart about it. I wish we had more appreciation but I guess that also saves us from the big drops as well.

Hi,

Wanted to jump in too.  I'm NYC based but really love what I have read about Erie.  Seems like a good place with good people.  Looking to find people that would be open to talking with me about great real estate people, meeting other investors, maybe coming to visit.  Let me know if anyone is interested - or if there's a meet-up that I could plan to come to in the next couple of months.

Thank you!

I'm always happy to meet with other investors. Erie has a lot of opportunities along with some challenges. Would be happy to talk with either of you further or meet up if you are ever on town!

Originally posted by @Joe M. :

Good news about Wabtec sticking around for a while

Seems to be. It would be great if Wabtec can actually stay in Erie for the long hall. Though sometimes I wonder if it would be better in the long term if the last of the big manufacturers would just die and let the city redefine itself with a more stable and diverse economy (is this blasphemous?) That plant has been such a rollercoaster for the city's morale.

Originally posted by @Andy Brown :
Originally posted by @Joe M.:

Good news about Wabtec sticking around for a while

Seems to be. It would be great if Wabtec can actually stay in Erie for the long hall. Though sometimes I wonder if it would be better in the long term if the last of the big manufacturers would just die and let the city redefine itself with a more stable and diverse economy (is this blasphemous?) That plant has been such a rollercoaster for the city's morale.

I think I disagree but only for the fact that stable and diverse economy has to come.  I think there is some momentum, but will take a lot.  The bayfront should help

Hi everyone,

Really happy to see a thread on BP re: Erie market. I'm from northern VA and my market is overpriced and the amplification was felt when Amazon announced it would make its 2nd HQ in my area, causing prices to spike. So, I'm now looking out of state. I have friends from PA and through them, I learned about the Erie real estate market. I'm starting to look for properties with solid rentals. The prices look good, but would love to get feedback from others in the area (since my friends are not real estate investors). My realtor is suggesting the low west side and Edinboro. I noticed that the prices in Edinboro are a bit higher than in Erie. Any local investors know why this is the case?

Thanks in advance! 

Originally posted by @Thi Nguyen :

Hi everyone,

Really happy to see a thread on BP re: Erie market. I'm from northern VA and my market is overpriced and the amplification was felt when Amazon announced it would make its 2nd HQ in my area, causing prices to spike. So, I'm now looking out of state. I have friends from PA and through them, I learned about the Erie real estate market. I'm starting to look for properties with solid rentals. The prices look good, but would love to get feedback from others in the area (since my friends are not real estate investors). My realtor is suggesting the low west side and Edinboro. I noticed that the prices in Edinboro are a bit higher than in Erie. Any local investors know why this is the case?

Thanks in advance! 

Its nicer is the simple answer

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here