Skip to content
South Carolina Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Parsley
  • Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Property management unlawful Entry and theft or Not?

Kevin Parsley
  • Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Posted Jun 7 2018, 20:40

Greetings BP family,

I hope I’m asking this question in the right forums, if not please don’t hesitate to let me know.

So the situation is that a friend of mine was breaking her lease to travel overseas on military/contract orders. The break in the lease was initially accepted by the prop manager. My friend had to pack and leave so quickly, she had to leave some of her things there in the property. So she left the key with family and asked them to finish moving the things that were there into storage & mail a few things to her. She explained to them to ensure no trash was left before the end of that month so she could get her deposit back.

This is where the question comes in. 

The prop manager entered the property before the end of the lease (probably showing the property to potential renters) and actually went through and took some of the things that were left in the property and tossed the rest in the trash. When my friends family arrived they were astonished to see what had happened.

Now the prop manager is not only saying my friend broke the lease early and will be charged for that but for also abandonment of the property, and leaving the “trash” (her personal property that they went thru and took what was valuable) in the property.

They have billed her over 2k in frivolous charges and sent the bill to a collections company.

Is there anyone here that can help point us in the right direction to get this settled?

Loading replies...