Newbie investor from South Dakota looking for IRA investing advic

4 Replies

Very new to real estate investing and bigger pockets. I have a roll over IRA I would like to invest in real estate and am looking for advice concerning penalties and tax implications associated with using an IRA.

@Aaron Quinn

When you are ready, you will need to transfer the IRA to a self-directed IRA custodian such as IRA Services Trust Company who offers IRAs that can be invested in real estate. Not all IRA providers offers self-directed IRAs.


you can use your IRA to invest in real estate. In order to do so you need to create new self-directed IRA, rollover your current IRA in it and then you can start investing in non-traditional assets such as real estate.

An alternative to custodial SD IRA might be Checkbook IRA (aka IRA owned LLC), which will give you the ability to bypass the custodian and have checkbook control over your retirement funds.