• Dallas, TX
Votes |
Newbie Realtor Question

Michael Vitale
Pro Member
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Jan 8 2022, 18:00

Hey y’all,

Some I’ve finally taken the big steps. Signed up for Pro to analyze more deals quickly and officially started my realtor classes this week. This question I have for the group is this:

Does anyone have any advice regarding the best approach to signing up with a brokerage? I’m very lost when it comes to finding investor friendly brokerages to join. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Mike

User Stats

Votes
Pretty Khare
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 8 2022, 19:23

Congrats on taking those first steps. I would suggest doing a market search first to identify where you want to invest. Once your zero in on a few markets, join the BP forum discussions for those markets and see all the agents that are active on BP from those markets. Connect with them on BP and have an introductory call to discuss what strategy works in that market and how the agents help investors. Ask them about their specific investments. Do this with a few real estate agents till you find someone you would want to work with.

Also when you come across a deals that works from a numbers standpoint be decisive and act quickly. I have seen many new investors get entangled in analysis paralysis and do not take decision. In this sellers market, you will need to move quickly.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Jan 8 2022, 20:33

I would look at KW.....they wrote the books on investing such as Millionaire Real Estate Investor, HOLD and FLIP.   For those who are productive agents and plug in, there could be investment opportunities or you create your own.   Someone asked once which brokerage had the most investors and I'm not sure that is published anywhere, but I would guess KW has as many as any.   Of course at KW and any other brokerage, there are plenty of agents who don't invest, don't want to invest, maybe don't even own their own home.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Peyton Leal
  • Realtor
  • Texas
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Texas
Replied Jan 9 2022, 15:16

- If you are getting license to work as a realtor choose one for your specific market area.

- If doing it to invest, go with a brokerage that is part or can be apart of multiple or all associations.I was fortunate enough to get best of both worlds. Our brokerage merged with a corporate broker and now I have any market area in Texas I could want. 
Also check and see if the broker is also an investor. Mine was and had no problem with me wholesaling or investing. They will help you grow.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Blair
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Dallas TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Dallas TX
Replied Jan 13 2022, 08:00

Finding a broker to work for can be tedious.  Whenever I found myself looking for a new broker, I called ones that seem to be working with properties/clients that I like to work with.  Take meetings with them, ask them a lot of questions.  Find out the split, services, systems, and support being offered. There are plenty of great companies, and most just want to add agents to their roster.

I am a broker with my own Company, we work with a lot of investors. 

A-Chalet Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mat Misetic
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia
Replied Jan 13 2022, 08:09

Couple things to keep in mind when you are looking for a brokerage after just getting licensed

-Brand does not matter in regards to attracting/retaining clients

-This is a long term business, focusing on the short term profits will only hold you back

-The most important thing when first getting started is learning

With all of this top of mind you want to look for a team/brokerage that focuses on teaching, training, coaching and walking you through the various processes associated with this business. This usually comes at less friendly splits but in the long term what you learn will be worth it. Goodluck!

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Dasch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Replied Jan 23 2022, 06:27

Hey, I am a new realtor as well and had the same questions. I did a lot of research and ended up with Keller Williams.  I dont have any baseline of how other companies are, but KW has been amazing so far.  The group i am with does not provide leads, however the training is outstanding.  If you want to learn and grow your business, i think KW is a great choice.  Through my research the other highly recommended Real Estate brokerages were Remax and Exp realty.  They all have their advantages and disadvantages, its really up to you to research and then decide which one works best for you. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Vitale
Pro Member
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jan 23 2022, 06:42
thanks for the info here Taylor. It’s certainly a process trying to figure it all out 

Originally posted by @Taylor Dasch:

Hey, I am a new realtor as well and had the same questions. I did a lot of research and ended up with Keller Williams.  I dont have any baseline of how other companies are, but KW has been amazing so far.  The group i am with does not provide leads, however the training is outstanding.  If you want to learn and grow your business, i think KW is a great choice.  Through my research the other highly recommended Real Estate brokerages were Remax and Exp realty.  They all have their advantages and disadvantages, its really up to you to research and then decide which one works best for you. 

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Dasch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Replied Jan 23 2022, 06:52

Yes sir it definitely is, and in my limited experience, this is the easiest part of the process.  To me it has been a challenge learning the business, using different forms, and  lead generation.  I was already very familiar with my market but that is only a part of running the business, it has really led me to exploit my weakness such as marketing, getting out there and talking with people, reading contracts all the way through lol.