• Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Protecting yourself from potential bad contractors

Ivan Chavez
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Posted Jan 13 2022, 12:14

I’m currently in the middle of having a construction loan completed for a single family home that will become a rental. I’ve got my general contractor set in place and have signed all the documents needed but am always just afraid of getting scammed or burned :/.  Wondering what’re some things to keep in mind or if there’s documents that can help protect my investment. Any advise helps!

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Jan 13 2022, 12:41

Pay for progress.  Every contractor wants 1/3 up front or more.   You negotiate something different....where you pay for work completed....I don't care if that is every week.  If they need to pay employees or subs....you pay for work done.   Don't ever deviate from this no matter what the story...and there are great stories...there are great salespeople.  You don't want promises, you want performance.   That way your money doesn't disappear, that way it keeps them coming back when they get super busy.   Get lien waivers for materials and work from the subs as you pay.  No wavier, no pay....and that is on the GC to get.

There are plenty of contractors here and others you will meet that just won't work this way....and when you deviate at some point you will get burned.  Happens to everyone who is active and deviates from the plan.  Of course contractors will tell you over and over they want money up front and they've been burned too many times from owners/investors.  So you have to move on to the next guy who is hungrier.  They're out there.

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Dasch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Replied Jan 16 2022, 05:35

The guy above me is right on with paying as you go. I personally havent used a GC before but I have looked, and you have a lot lower chance of getting burned if your contractor has a good reputation, lots of reviews, references, satisfied customers etc. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Corey Grant
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Livingston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Livingston, TX
Replied Jan 13 2023, 07:38
Quote from @Bruce Lynn:

Pay for progress.  Every contractor wants 1/3 up front or more.   You negotiate something different....where you pay for work completed....I don't care if that is every week.  If they need to pay employees or subs....you pay for work done.   Don't ever deviate from this no matter what the story...and there are great stories...there are great salespeople.  You don't want promises, you want performance.   That way your money doesn't disappear, that way it keeps them coming back when they get super busy.   Get lien waivers for materials and work from the subs as you pay.  No wavier, no pay....and that is on the GC to get.

There are plenty of contractors here and others you will meet that just won't work this way....and when you deviate at some point you will get burned.  Happens to everyone who is active and deviates from the plan.  Of course contractors will tell you over and over they want money up front and they've been burned too many times from owners/investors.  So you have to move on to the next guy who is hungrier.  They're out there.

Never heard of lien waivers but sounds like a great idea!  Fortunately, in Livingston, TX the issue is just finding contractors that are still working.  I keep a long list on my phone and add names as I encounter them.  By the time I call to use them they are usually gone.

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Jan 13 2023, 08:02
Quote from @Bruce Lynn:

Explain lien waivers. Let's say I buy a house from a wholesaler. Needs $50k in rehab, I'm interviewing 3-5 GC, how do these lien waivers work and how you do convey them?

i get the premise they can't file a lien on a property, but how does this also protect me from guaranteeing the job is done without pre paying?

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 13 2023, 22:35

Don't pay until work is completed. I have people I have worked for for a year that I still don't pay until works complete. 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Hirko
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jan 23 2023, 13:16
Quote from @V.G Jason:
Quote from @Bruce Lynn:

Explain lien waivers. Let's say I buy a house from a wholesaler. Needs $50k in rehab, I'm interviewing 3-5 GC, how do these lien waivers work and how you do convey them?

i get the premise they can't file a lien on a property, but how does this also protect me from guaranteeing the job is done without pre paying?

Lien waivers are not a substitute for paying a contractor after the work is completed, they go hand in hand with it. Even if you pay the contractor after work is completed, you have no guarantee he will then pay his subs, unless you get a lien waiver. If that happens, the sub that does work on the property can lien it, which causes you a bunch of headaches. So you basically get the subs to waive their right to put a lien on the property in exchange for payment.