Relocating to Tyler, Texas Region

16 Replies

Good afternoon everyone. I'm super new to the BP community in general, but have been an avid listener for quite a while now. My wife and I are considering relocating to the Tyler, Texas area from Central, CA (Retirement & RE Investing). I'm looking for an established, high integrity RE Agent to assist in our initial relocation purchase. Any recommendations from the BP Community? Many thanks in advance. K.L. Tokar

Welcome to the area. I live a bit West of Tyler, but have purchases a few properties in Tyler. I can send you a PM with a RE agent suggestion. Are you familiar with the Tyler area at all?

Hi Eric, thanks for the reply. We haven't relocated yet, but are seriously considering Tyler. We like what we've seen so far and will be visiting the area very soon. 

Hey @Kevin L Tokar Tyler is a great area. I moved here from Gustine, CA, south of Modesto about 17 years ago. It’s a good place to live and invest in. PM me if you want to discuss details. I also have an agent I’ll share with you if you’d like. 

Hi @Kevin L Tokar .

We relocated, to Tyler, about 5 years ago. It's a great area for retirement, family, and for many types of RE investing. 

Tyler is certainly a completely different market that what you're used to in California (or what I was used to in Colorado). Tyler operates in it's own "micro-economy". It's somewhat sheltered from the impacts of Dallas, and Huston, and is the largest town in the area. It's a medical hub for East Texas. 

You'll probably find that you'll need to re-work many of the investment strategies that worked in California.  Tyler is simply a unique market. For example, the residential real estate market is driven, almost exclusively, by price per sq. ft. There's a "glass ceiling" on resale prices. If you don't know that, and base your purchase numbers on it, making money will be difficult.

I'd be happy to share what we've learned. My areas of expertise are: Residential Rentals and Flips, and commercial properties.

I'm also a licensed real estate agent, and would be happy to help with your relocation.

Feel free to send any questions. No strings attached.

Micah 

@Eric James we too are in the process of relocating to Tyler from Northern California and found a great realtor that we have been working with and in the process of closing a property with. Her Name is Tina Holland (903)658-5964. I can't say nothing but great things about her. I sent her a question on a property I saw on Realtor.com. She went to the property and did a video walk through for us. I later flew down for a few days and she showed me properties two days straight. She has been a God send through out our whole process. If you have any questions on our process in relocating as well feel free to reach out to me anytime. We should be transitioning in mid August. Good luck on your relocation. 

Wow...so Tyler is becoming a relocation destination for Californians.

Thanks so much Mariela. I've had great feedback from a number of folks here on the forum and PM the past few days. Hmmm, Tyler, Texas, maybe we're all on to something :-)

Tyler and neighboring Longview are certainly the hub of NE Texas. Very prosperous and fast-growing area.

If you're thinking retirement, I would suggest a look at Athens, TX. It's a very beautiful and prosperous town Lots of lakes in the area, and the medical facilities are good. It's a slower pace than Tyler. 

Athens TX Certified Retirement Community

Originally posted by @Fred Heller :

Tyler and neighboring Longview are certainly the hub of NE Texas. Very prosperous and fast-growing area.

If you're thinking retirement, I would suggest a look at Athens, TX. It's a very beautiful and prosperous town Lots of lakes in the area, and the medical facilities are good. It's a slower pace than Tyler. 

Athens TX Certified Retirement Community

I live close to Athens and like the area myself.  Worth checking out, but I could see this area being a bit more of a culture shock for someone from California.  Tyler has some higher end neighborhoods than Athens does.  Athens has higher property taxes (around 3% of assessed values) compared to Tyler (around 2%).  But even with this it would probably seem incredibly cheap compared to California.

Welcome to Tyler, you'll love it here. If you still need a Realtor, my wife is awesome and will definitely shoot you straight and treat you right. 

Best of luck to you!

@Micah Joseph hey I’m relocating to Tyler. Would love to pic your brain on areas. Need to buy three houses soon!
I’m going to PM you and send you a message on your website.

I need someone familiar with the local market

Wow, so many people moving to Tyler. Maybe I am in the worng area. What is drawing people out there other than the low property tax comparative to the rest of the state?

Originally posted by @Ryan Blake :

Wow, so many people moving to Tyler. Maybe I am in the worng area. What is drawing people out there other than the low property tax comparative to the rest of the state?

I think for a lot of people it is wanting to live in a smaller city, but still being not too far from a big city for a day trip. My guess is Tyler won't see explosive growth, but will continue to grow steadily.

I know there is some industry out there and a lot of camps and other ministry offices. I wasn't sure if there was a revolution starting out there that was drawing people in like a business relocation or something. Thanks for the info @Eric James

Hey everyone, I am new to BP.  Actually have parents who live in Athens, TX, on a private lake in a gated neighborhood.  Beautiful lakefront home, but they are wanting to move down to the Houston area to be near my family so they will get more time with the grandkids.  Athens is a nice town to visit and good for retirement.  Not sure this is a good place for investing, but living here definitely has its benefits.

@Brett Whaley Rents compared to SFH costs are pretty good. E.g. I'm about to buy a house in Athens for $48K with minimal repairs needed. I could rent it for $1100-1200. MFH are pretty expensive, as everyone seems to want them. There are quite a few people trying to flip properties around Athens and these places oftentimes end up sitting on the market for a long time because they put too much money into them to make a profit. I have a real estate agency. Let me know if I can ever do anything for you.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here