• Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
Split one lot into two lots

Ammon Orgill
  • Investor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Posted Oct 14 2020, 11:15

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience working with Salt Lake City to split one lot into two lots? My specific situation is that I am looking to purchase two lots with the intention of combining the two lots and subsequently dividing it into three lots. There is currently only one house on one of the lots and the 2nd lot is empty. I would not need to re-zone the lots since the size of the two lots could easily become three lots while still staying within the zoning laws. 

I am curious if anyone has experience with successfully combining lots and/or splitting lots. I know it's a ton of work, so I'm hoping to get your perspective on important considerations to keep in mind,  pitfalls to avoid, and general advice in regards to:

1. Knowing all the different city groups with whom I will need to collaborate and obtain approvals.

2. Surveying the land, dividing and drawing up the lots into new plats 

3. Connecting utilities (and determining the amount of effort/cost required to set up utilities)

Happy to hear any relative experience you might have as well as any advice or tips!

Loading replies...