Votes
Val G.
  • Washington DC, DC
Votes |
Broker recommendations for new part time agent & investor

Val G.
  • Washington DC, DC
Posted Dec 4 2020, 18:19

Few days ago I passed the VA Real Estate Salesperson exam a few days ago and am looking for brokers to hitch my wagon with. I have had "meetings" with a few brokers and honestly am unable to decipher between all the fluff (we will make you successful, we have endless training, our average agent produces $7 million and makes $150K etc.) and brokers who will genuinely provide support and help you grow. I have also learned about commission split models that go from criminally low to suspiciously high (from Coldwell Banker's 50/50, Century 21's 50/50 (unverified), McEnearney & Associates 50/50, Re/Max's 70/30 or 80/20, and ExP's 90/10). Furthermore, I have found that most brokerage houses have the standardized onboarding process of endless training and mentoring irrespective of where in your career you are and what expertise you bring. Either way, I remain unclear about which one should I go with?

A little about me: I work full time and will not leave my job until my income from real estate fully replaces my salary income. I need a broker who is okay with my part time commitment and who doesn't think of me as any less dedicated than a full time agent. I also need a broker that supports me without all the fluff while acknowledging that with 10 years of banking experience, I have a unique understanding of residential real estate and may not need as much handholding as someone say who is right out of high school or college.

What am I looking for: I am trying to add to my portfolio of a couple of rental properties and sell real estate during evenings and weekends (30+ hours/week) in the DMV area. I also would love full transparency on marketing costs and any other cost a brokerage expects me to pay out of pocket. A broker that allows me to learn by doing as opposed to learning by watching Zoom training.

Show me the way Bigger Pockets.

Loading replies...