Skip to content
Washington Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Andy Whitcomb
  • Investor
  • Black Diamond, WA
Votes |
Does anyone understand the Hirst Decision? And what we do now?

Andy Whitcomb
  • Investor
  • Black Diamond, WA
Posted Aug 16 2017, 19:18

After years of searching and dreaming, I found the perfect cabin for my first vacation rental.  It needs water and septic, but that's no big deal because people put in wells and septic all the time!  Then my lender mentions to me that I need to have a Hydrology report  to determine if I have the right to use the water my well produces.  This would be the first time I heard of the Hirst Decision.  

I spoke with the county (Snohomish) and they told me are basically ignoring the ruling and issuing building permits as usual.  They said it's up to the Dept of Ecology to determine if I can get water rights.  I spoke with the Dept of Ecology and they said it's up to the County.   Neither could give me a straight answer, and basically admitted that nobody knew what was happening.  Where does that leave me?  My lender won't lend on something without water rights, and the people who are supposed to be in charge can't give me a straight answer.  

Each conversation I have confirms that nobody knows what to do, and they are hoping the law changes before it catches up with them.

Does anyone understand the Hirst Decision and what I need to do to get water rights?

Does it even affect my area?

How should I speak with my lender, who is probably just as confused and probably scared of Hirst as me?

Any help or advice on this would be VERY helpful!  

Loading replies...