Pro Member
  • Winchester, VA
Votes |
West Virginia Real Estate Broker process

Ian Lockwood
Pro Member
  • Winchester, VA
Posted Aug 31 2016, 11:14

Currently I'm a licensed real estate agent in New Mexico. For the past two years I've been working as a licensed assistant to another agent in my office. His name is on all documents but I assist with all aspects of his business and we do about 25 transactions per year. In November I could become a NM Qualified Broker if I wanted (which is our highest designation). 

I will be moving to West Virginia in December. Upon moving I plan on being only an investor (not helping people buy & sell). Since I only plan to be an investor I'd like to become a Broker in West Virginia so I don't have to work under someone else. However the WV Real Estate Commission is telling me that to become a WV Broker I must submit two years worth of sales history and all the transactions I've help with as an assistant in NM won't count. Upon moving to WV since I don't plan on working with buyers & sellers, I'm wondering how I'm suppose to acquire this two year sales history. Is it impossible for me to ever become a WV Broker, unless I decide to work with buyer/sellers again, which I'd prefer not to do? I have to believe there are real estate investors in WV who became licensed for investing purposes only. I'm hoping some WV folks can weigh in on this and explain what my options are in. Thanks!

Loading replies...