Milwaukee Separate Water

6 Replies

Wow, Dawn!!!  Listened to some of your podcasts/videos!  Great stuff!  I have been trying to find out if separating water would be expensive.  Can't really find the answer.  On your single families, do you pay water or tenants?  Water in your name or tenants?  

I am currently doing it in Indianapolis and it IS expensive. Not sure if it's different in Mke, but looks like I'm going to pay about $6k to the plumber and $1,200 to the city. But I'm currently paying $235/mo for the water, and will make tenants responsible, so I'll get my money back. Probably will avoid buying 1-meter buildings in the future.

Is this at all common in Milwaukee? I'm not sure if tenants would catch that cost at lease signing, but I've got to imagine $100 or more added ok to their costs will make them think more about moving to the next place where there not responsible for water. I see the upside in the long term, but not sure how tenants would respond in a market (Milwaukee) where it doesn't seem common,

I just wrote my checks the other day and pay about $100 per month per duplex. $50 per unit per month.

Originally posted by @Thomas Sherlock :

Wow, Dawn!!!  Listened to some of your podcasts/videos!  Great stuff!  I have been trying to find out if separating water would be expensive.  Can't really find the answer.  On your single families, do you pay water or tenants?  Water in your name or tenants?  

On the single family houses I have (and condos) the tenants pay the water. The bill is always in my name and I pay it by the due date (many are on automatic payment). Then I have the tenants reimburse me. This way I know for sure the water bill is getting paid.

I'm househacking a duplex in the Bayview area of Milwaukee.  More and more landlords are passing the water bill to the renters here (it's a popular area).   Mostly they're splitting the total water bill between the units, not separating the meters.  I haven't done it yet, because of the hassle (the water bill is quarterly). 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here