Why Do You Invest in Mississippi & Jackson?

38 Replies

BiggerPockets! I'm working on building a landing page for Mississippi and the city of Jackson. Would anyone be willing to share why you invest in the state and/or the city? What makes your state and city so wonderful for investors?

Originally posted by @Jonathan R McLaughlin :

@Lauren Hogan I remember the very-much-worth-listening to @jay hinrichs posting about this a while ago

thanks for the mention.. just like any city its cut into 3 or 4 areas.. from the Hood to very nice.. pick wisely. 

Jackson has a lot of cheap properties that could be used for cash flow only. I came close to purchasing a few myself but decided to walk away last minute to focus on other projects. I was planning use them as Section 8 rentals and would’ve made decent cash flow. Jackson is mostly low income.

I have owned a SFR in Jackson for about a year and a half and have been trying to understand the market.

This is what I have learned:  I can tell you that you need to be careful about foundations.  Make sure you get trusted eyes on the foundation and have it inspected.  Also, there are areas near the  Pearl River that have flooded, so look into that.  It sounds like there are problems regarding infrastructure like roads and water supply.   Taxes can jump up a lot if you buy a property from an owner occupant and turn it into a rental.  Be careful of neighborhoods and look at the crime rates. 

Cash flow can be good.   Im sure there is s lit more, but I'm still learning as well.  Take your time and do your due diligence.

I was in property management in Jackson for about ten years before moving out of state for a career in education. I just returned to Jackson after 30 years gone and want to get started again with investment properties (primarily buy-and-hold or rehabbing and reselling to help people get their own home). I love Jackson and have great hopes for its future. I want to give back to the City that gave me so many good memories. There are many good people here, some of whom have not had the blessings I've known so I want to help them by providing safe, attractive, and affordable housing. I'm not trying to be a millionaire; I just want to make a living while helping others do the same in this great City.