Votes
Colleen Carnahan
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Material Quality Question for a flip

Colleen Carnahan
  • Phoenix, AZ
Posted Jul 27 2017, 08:35

Hello fellow Arizonians! My husband and I have recently obtained our first property to flip near 16th St. and Indian School. We are estimating an ARV of about 300k. We are trying to decide on materials/figuring out how to make some cutbacks so that we can stay in budget. There are a couple of 'bigger ticket' items that we've gotten conflicting opinions on from several different professionals (realtors/gcs/seasoned flippers). So I wanted to see if I could start a poll of sorts to determine which options will be more/less detrimental to the resale value, to determine where we should spend the extra and where we should cut back.

The first item is flooring: We've been told that wood-look tile is what is desirable and that click-lock laminate will hurt resale, and we've heard that at our price point laminate doesn't deter buyers and some find it desirable because it's easier to maintain/clean. 

Second item is counter tops: We've been told that granite is what people want and expect, and we've been told quarts is what people want and expect. We've also gotten conflicting information as to which is more expensive. 

The third item is windows: We currently have steel single-pane windows. We've been told that people like the look of the steel windows and changing them would deter from the appeal, We've been told that going with a newer double pane window is what people want for energy efficiency. And we've been told that in terms of energy efficiency windows will do the least amount to improve energy waste, and that replacing them is a waste of money (from someone who has had multiple energy analyses over the years). 

I appreciate any and all input! Also, any recommendations for material sources for reasonable pricing would be much appreciated as well! 

Thanks for your help!

Loading replies...