• Tempe, AZ
Votes |
Newbie in ASU area Tempe, Arizona

Rocio T.
  • Tempe, AZ
Posted Feb 7 2018, 03:12

Hola! 

My name is pronounced Row-See-Oh  (: 

Don't be fooled by my long intro, I am new to REI but I've been on BP for so long now ... finally decided it's time to interact!

Current situation..... I work in the mortgage servicing dept. for a large bank where I have met a couple of influential people that introduced me to the world of REI. I joined BP in 2015, and I purchased my first home* in July 2016 in the heart of college town (and my home town) - Tempe, AZ. *(sale price 248k, 30yr conventional loan 235k, paying roughly $1,500 PITI). I started my search with multi family units as a way into house hacking, but I ended up purchasing this single family home with 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, carport, and a large back yard with a gazebo and a workshop/shed structure. The move to Tempe was strategic because I knew that I could easily rent to a family or to ASU students when time came - this neighborhood is welcoming to both.

I have already spent some money on improvements. When I first moved into this house I was alone for a few months so I invested in putting up a brick wall for security (the backyard has an alley and a community park behind it). I also spent a shiny penny repairing a broken sewer pipe, and removing a very large palm tree in the front yard (to eliminate maintenance costs, seedlings & scorpions, eww to all). My plan to rent the home out and continue loafing off my parents did not pan out. My parents sold their house when I moved out and they now live with me...empty nest did not last long lol... As I am enjoying the company and cooking of my roommates, I am working full time, SAVING, and dabbling in BP to continue expanding my knowledge.

Future plans..... In the next 6 months (or sooner) I plan to convert the workshop space into a studio/tiny house so I can downsize and rent out the "big" house. I will house hack my way through additional property improvements - over the next year I want to also expand the driveway and redo landscaping (dog run, garden beds, shade trees, pavers). Nearing the end of 2018 I feel I will be financially ready to take a risk and transition from my current job into property management (or assistant) for a well established company. It is important for me to gain experience yet still have stable income + benefits, because in the next 3 years I plan to purchase my second property. I will move out of the tiny house and use it as an airbnb or rent it out, which will give me 2 streams of income from one property. (woohoo!)

How to move forward...... I am looking for contractor referrals for construction estimates of my tiny house.I'm really not sure where to start in order to ensure the structure is built up to Tempe city code and has all the proper permits to be lived in/rented out. I imagine getting estimates from a couple of contractors may be a good place to start. Any advice welcomed!

I am also seeking any local investors who want to casually talk about REI ideas, strategies, current articles/podcasts etc but don't have friends who are into it (lol). I have not explored in the meetup groups, but maybe one day I'll get there. I'd prefer a more casual conversation for now with individuals that are in a similar situation as I am, perhaps just starting out or getting seasoned on their first few properties. Individuals with airbnb hosting experience or single family property management experience in the valley would be fantastic to network with as well. Honestly, I'd be glad to hear from anyone here! I love BP! I look forward to hearing from you!

Loading replies...