Votes
Brendan Ashworth
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
I analyzed 4,500 zoning variance applications in Boston

Brendan Ashworth
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jun 8 2022, 15:18

Hey BP— I downloaded eight years worth of zoning variance appeals in Boston (you need a variance to break the zoning code). I found it really cool so I wanted to share a summary of my analysis.

1. Denial rates vary dramatically by the type of appeal. 10% of appeals that mention renovating are rejected, while 17% of demolition+new construction is rejected. Changing occupancy beyond zoning allowances and combining lots falls in the middle. (You can explore the data at the link below)

2. On average you'll wait five months before getting an answer to your appeal. If it gets deferred, you should expect at least a year wait.

3. The longer you wait, the more likely you'll get denied. Appeals that get answered in under 100 days only get denied 11% of the time (1/3 of average). 100-200 days is twice that at a 22% denial rate. 200-300 days is 31%.

I've published the data analysis if you want to filter for permit appeals in other categories (building additions, combining lots, new buildings, etc).

It seems to me like it's a huge pain to go through the variance process. What are your tips and tricks for getting around it? What kind of advice can you give to others who see opportunity through variances?

Loading replies...