Skip to content
Innovative Strategies

User Stats

Votes
Trey McGovern
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • New Bern, NC
Votes |
Can you rent your house to yourself? Let me explain.....

Trey McGovern
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • New Bern, NC
Posted Jul 5 2016, 07:27

So I am in a weird situation. I have been actively investing in Real Estate for the last 6 months, but have had the idea for 3 years or so. 

Over the course of that time and during my research and thinking phase, I was toying with the idea of purchasing the current house I live in and using it as a rental, but I would be the tenant (short-term). 

So the situation stands where I am currently living in a great house that was purchased at the tail end of the 2008 market. Seller was desperate, so he decided to rent it out since the flip market was literally non-existent. I ended up in the house. 

Now, I want to purchase the property (I think its a great deal and in a great location for future appreciation), but I dont have any plans on living there for any more than 2-3 years from now. It is currently a rental property, I intend for it to be a rental, both by myself, and with future tenants. 

Can I legally purchase the house through my company, AND then create a lease between either myself or my wife to the holding company. This would be run totally like a business, all expenses handled through my company, rent checks made out to the company, etc.....

Is this something that is possible? Would I have to purchase as my Primary Residence and then resell to my company when I am ready to move and make the transformation? What would the obstacles be? 

Loading replies...