Innovative Strategies

User Stats

Votes
Alex Booth
Votes |
Selling a Second Lien Position

Alex Booth
Posted Jun 26 2022, 19:54
I've just become aware of "creative financing" a few months ago as I'm selling some of my SFH in Texas. The offers vary wildly but many of them are a mixture of cash plus second lien equity financing at 0% interest + a 7-10 year balloon. I'm not sure that I want to hold that extra payment for 7-10 years. Is anyone familiar with a note buyer who would buy the second lien position at a discount?

User Stats

Votes
Lexey Vezzoso
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Replied Jul 1 2022, 13:57

Hey Alex!

I know a little bit about creative financing but my husband is a pro. 

If you want to reach out to him and see if he can help guide you feel free!

Send him a DM on instagram or Facebook. @brandonvezzoso

-Lexey 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 1 2022, 14:23

@Alex Booth

We are very familiar with notes. Never ever ever ever write a note at 0% interest

First the government will still tax you. It’s called imputed interest and follows AFR

Also you will Get probably 20-40% of amount owed if you sell it on the secondary market

For a second lien position 9–12% is where you want to be. If you had that type of rate you should get 90-100% of what is owed.

Remember house values do go down and if the house were to ever go underwater and borrower files bk your loan could be crammed down or stripped (worthless) on a second position note.

Be happy to tell you how to structure it best for resale purposes

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alex Booth
Votes |
Replied Jul 5 2022, 07:35

@Chris Seveney thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking the same thing. I would be interested in learning more from you so I sent a DM your way. Hopefully we can connect soon!