Skip to content
Innovative Strategies

User Stats

Votes
Eden Meng
Votes |
Mid Term Rentals ( Traveling Professionals)

Eden Meng
Posted Aug 4 2022, 23:40

Hi BP Community,

I am reaching out if any one has applied renting per room strategy to traveling professionals. I am currently planning to list my home, 3 beds 2 baths, for primary traveling nurses. As a someone living on their bag, I don't think they would need the entire home to stay for their 13 weeks ( on average). So I believe that the rent must be per room. So below are my questions:

1- How would you suggest set up the house rule for all these strangers sharing the same house? i.e dishwasher ( as I am not going to be in the same place with them)

2- Do you ever encounter tenants submit complaints when other tenant do not clean after themselves as unfortunately I will have to have one tenant sharing a bathroom. If so- how would you deal with that?

Please note that I plan to bring in a cleaning service twice a month to clean the house and landscaper to maintain the house nice and neat. And all utilities including WiFi and cable services are still under my name.

Any input is truly appreciated it.

Thank you

Eden

User Stats

Votes
Karl Denton
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mansfield, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mansfield, CT
Replied Aug 5 2022, 00:35

This defiantly poses a difficult situation, I rent 1Bed/1Bath apartments to travel nurses. With renting a room I would disclose that there are shared spaces. I haven't had a travel nurse yet be an issue, they typically are very good about being clean and being respectful.  That being said, yes you can set house rules being its your place. You can also try to link them up so they can meet prior to arriving. Post in travel nurse groups and maybe you can even get a couple that have the same contract in the area. Hope this helps. 

User Stats

Votes
Joey Banasihan
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Replied Oct 24 2022, 09:36

HI @Eden Meng! I just came across this post and hope you have been able to come up with a great strategy for this investment! I think you are absolutely correct in ensuring you have a well established tenant/roommate agreement in place to ensure all parties have clear expectations as to utilizing shared spaces, outlining the cleaning services, etc. The last several years I have been a resident director overseeing apartment complexes/dorms for universities, and mediating/facilitating roommate agreements is sort of a specialty of mine. 

The key is making sure the housing environment for future tenants is clear (traveling nurses/medical professional shared home), the house rules/agreement should specifically list what items/areas are shared vs private, and outlining how tenants should coordinate with other tenants around utilizing shared areas, having guests over, mediation, etc.  Would be happy to provide further guidance and advice around how to create/structure house rules/agreement if you would like! Feel free to connect with me and send me a message if you want to talk further :)

Boise TurnKey Investments Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes