• Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
Experience building an ADU?

Courtney M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Posted Dec 10 2022, 09:25

Does anyone have any experience building an accessory dwelling unit in or around Saint Petersburg or the surrounding area? 

User Stats

Votes
Zach Kidd
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Clearwater, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Clearwater, FL
Replied Dec 18 2022, 17:01

The city of St Pete just opened up the ability to build new ADUs. See: 

Unincorporated Pinellas County would be your next best bet. It's difficult to target "unincorporated" areas via searches.

My next two target areas would be Largo, then Pinellas Park, although I have no idea if they allow ADUs. Just an educated guess that they are more likely to allow it versus other municipalities.

If you come up with better information, please reply so I can learn about it too! 

User Stats

Votes
Bryan S.
Votes |

Any luck here with a GC that specializes in ADUs in the Pinellas county region? 

FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs

User Stats

Votes
Dan Maciejewski
  • Realtor
  • PInellas County Largo, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • PInellas County Largo, FL
Replied Jan 31 2023, 06:55

I have a client that's going through it in St Pete right now.  I think he's GCing it himself but he definitely needed plans drawn up by someone.  

I know Dan Lee of KW takes all kinds of jobs with his construction group.  They might be able to do it.

St Pete definitely wants more housing so the approval process isn't too bad as long as you follow codes.  I'll attach the new adopted ordinance below:

Link to St Pete Ordinance on ADUs

User Stats

Votes
Courtney M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jan 31 2023, 08:20

@Bryan S. I spoke with https://www.caskconstruction.c... Who I spoke with was very knowledgeable, and if I were to go through with it, I would use them. I did find out that the adu has to be less than 40% of the total square footage of the main house. So for me, I don't think it is worth it for the project I was looking at. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 22 2023, 06:01
Quote from @Courtney M.:

@Bryan S. I spoke with https://www.caskconstruction.c... Who I spoke with was very knowledgeable, and if I were to go through with it, I would use them. I did find out that the adu has to be less than 40% of the total square footage of the main house. So for me, I don't think it is worth it for the project I was looking at. 

Hey Courtney I’m one of the owners of Cask Construction. I haven’t been on bigger pockets in a while but came across this post this morning. You probably spoke to my business partner but just wanted to clarify. ADUs in st Pete can be up to 67% of the main house SF but cannot exceed 800 sf (so if your house is 1200 sf or more you can build up to an 800 sf adu). We specialize is ADU construction in st Pete and Pinellas county so please let us know if you need any help with one. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 28 2023, 10:03

Very easy to work with the county, but have a lawyer do deep dive on title. Fully permitted ADU brought in Myakka City, later disallowed by neighbor stating covenant did not allow manufactured homes.