Innovative Strategies

User Stats

Votes
Christy Mroczkiewicz
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Long term apartment lease that you sublet for short term rentals?

Christy Mroczkiewicz
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh, NC
Posted May 17 2023, 11:30

I'm interested in hearing from folks who have or are currently engaged in long term apartment leases that you have furnished yourself, that you then sublet to short term rental clients?  Has this been a good strategy for solid returns?  How receptive are apartment communities to allowing a sublease?  What is your minimum rental period? 

User Stats

Votes
January Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Replied May 18 2023, 10:32
Quote from @Christy Mroczkiewicz:

I'm interested in hearing from folks who have or are currently engaged in long term apartment leases that you have furnished yourself, that you then sublet to short term rental clients?  Has this been a good strategy for solid returns?  How receptive are apartment communities to allowing a sublease?  What is your minimum rental period? 

I don't do this, but it would seem to me to go against any kind of lease agreement a larger apt complex would have in place. You'll likely need to find smaller buildings, 4-plexes, things like that - and get to know the owner/manager personally. 

Arbitrage (which is what this is called) is a "whole nuther" ballgame.  You DEFINITELY can't do this without letting the complex manager know and have their blessing.

Just my 2 cents.

User Stats

Votes
Cheri Malinski
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbia, MO
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbia, MO
Replied May 25 2023, 20:17

I have my own that I lease with mid term rentals.  It works out great.  I am also interested in learning about doing this in a rental arbitrage model.  Curious what type of lease would be used between owner of property and myself.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Hartvigsen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beaverton, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beaverton, OR
Replied May 26 2023, 15:23

Hi there,

I don't do this, but have followed this channel on YouTube for years. They have a full playlist of videos on rental arbitrage, and a Facebook Group where you can get advice. Sean is one of the best content creators I have seen in this space:
Your Introduction to Presenting to Landlords, rental arbitrage - YouTube

https://www.rakidzich.com/

Good luck!

• Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Christy Mroczkiewicz
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Pro Member