Votes
Ilya Z.
  • Rockville, MD
Votes |
How can equity to get more cash flow?

Ilya Z.
  • Rockville, MD
Posted May 28 2023, 04:27

How can you invest equity in existing free and clear rentals long-term to get more cash flow? Seems like today's cash-out rates are too high to get positive flow if you buy a turnkey rental, since rents where I've looked are below 1%. You can get a HELOC against it and use it for BRRR rehabs. But it's short-term and may or may not be better that getting hard money. Any other options? Any of those options more passive than investing in residential rentals? TIA!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 28 2023, 08:09

This sounds like the notion to stack your equity against more properties.  good approach, but you need to ensure you have room to stumble, otherwise your whole stack of cards may fall.

Take equity for downpayment, use income to increase your borrowing power.  Also, this is highly dependant on local market and associated prices.  Lots of paper millionaires back in 2008 who lost everything.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied May 28 2023, 08:19

Are you asking if you can by a free and clear rental with a ll cash an not debt on it?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ilya Z.
  • Rockville, MD
Votes |
  • Rockville, MD
Replied May 28 2023, 10:16
Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:

Are you asking if you can by a free and clear rental with a ll cash an not debt on it?

I want my equity to work by producing additional cash flow. I am open to any type of investment, not just buying more cash-flowing rentals, but I need this to be fairly passive. For example, I can't start flipping houses since I don't have enough hours in the day to do it.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied May 28 2023, 22:10
Quote from @Ilya Z.:

I want my equity to work by producing additional cash flow. I am open to any type of investment, not just buying more cash-flowing rentals, but I need this to be fairly passive. For example, I can't start flipping houses since I don't have enough hours in the day to do it.
That doesn't answer my question.

User Stats

Votes
Ilya Z.
  • Rockville, MD
Votes |
  • Rockville, MD
Replied May 29 2023, 05:14
Quote from @Ilya Z.:

"are you asking..." -- no.

I am asking this: if you have a free and clear rental and you want to invest its equity into something real-estate related that would bring you more cash flow, what could this "something" be? It used to be just a few years ago that you could refi it and use that to buy more rentals. Now the refi rates are so high that this doesn't seem to be possible given rents you can get in my area. Are there other types of investments that would not require me to sell the current rentals, only refi? Another requirement is that it has to be about as passive, or more passive than, residential rentals. Make sense?

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied May 29 2023, 05:54
Quote from @Ilya Z.:
Quote from @Ilya Z.:

"are you asking..." -- no.

I am asking this: if you have a free and clear rental and you want to invest its equity into something real-estate related that would bring you more cash flow, what could this "something" be? It used to be just a few years ago that you could refi it and use that to buy more rentals. Now the refi rates are so high that this doesn't seem to be possible given rents you can get in my area. Are there other types of investments that would not require me to sell the current rentals, only refi? Another requirement is that it has to be about as passive, or more passive than, residential rentals. Make sense?

You can still invest in RE.

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Speer
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jun 5 2023, 08:01

Have you considered a syndication or an oil and gas mineral right royalty fund? 

User Stats

Votes
Brock Mogensen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Jun 6 2023, 07:35

Investing in syndications as an LP is a form of passive investing. 

In my opinion, even a turnkey rental is not passive. As you will need to still oversee the property management company. 

User Stats

Votes
Ilya Z.
  • Rockville, MD
Votes |
  • Rockville, MD
Replied Jun 6 2023, 09:36
Quote from @Dylan Speer:

No. Never heard of such royalty funds. Will explore thx. Can you recommend any good sources of info about those?

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Speer
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jun 6 2023, 12:21
Quote from @Ilya Z.:
Quote from @Dylan Speer:

No. Never heard of such royalty funds. Will explore thx. Can you recommend any good sources of info about those?

I work at a real estate investment advisory firm and we specialize in selecting and underwriting syndications. Shoot me a private message, I'm happy to chat.