Skip to content
Innovative Strategies

User Stats

Votes
Douglas Holt
Votes |
Real Estate Professional Status and material participation in new development hours?

Douglas Holt
Posted Jun 5 2023, 04:53

I am looking to understand if development and construction hours for new multifamily project are eligible for material participation to earn real estate professional status the year it comes online.

I have land and looking to build a 20 Plex apartment building with a general contractor the fall of 2023 and hopefully be completed the fall of 2024 for occupancy. In order to obtain enough hours for REPS and for material participation, wondering if hours in development and construction that I perform in 2024 -pre-rental - will count towards the material participation component and REPS. I haven’t been able to find specific guidance of this particular situation. These hours pre-rental would be crucial to ensure I will have >750 hours for the year of 2024.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 5 2023, 05:57
Quote from @Douglas Holt:

I am looking to understand if development and construction hours for new multifamily project are eligible for material participation to earn real estate professional status the year it comes online.

I have land and looking to build a 20 Plex apartment building with a general contractor the fall of 2023 and hopefully be completed the fall of 2024 for occupancy. In order to obtain enough hours for REPS and for material participation, wondering if hours in development and construction that I perform in 2024 -pre-rental - will count towards the material participation component and REPS. I haven’t been able to find specific guidance of this particular situation. These hours pre-rental would be crucial to ensure I will have >750 hours for the year of 2024.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have a W2? If so see the CPA comments on here that the chances of this passing the sniff test are slim to none and slim left town. 

If no W2, I  assume you are going to be paying yourself during this time with a paycheck showing the hours as well correct?