• Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
HOUSE HACKING .. what is it?

Karen Margrave
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorPosted Jan 17 2015, 21:42

Ok I've been seeing the term "house hacking" more and more lately, can someone explain to me what it is? It seems as though there are different variations. 

User Stats

Votes
Jesus Jardon
  • Miami Springs, FL
Votes |
  • Miami Springs, FL
Replied Jan 17 2015, 21:47

House Hacking is generally when you purchase a property and you live in while you also rent out part of the property.

Say you have a duplex you've purchased, while you are still fixing it up, you rent out part of it.

You can go to the following link and learn more about it:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/11/20/a-new-way-to-look-at-the-concept-of-house-hacking/

Hope that helps answer your questions. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Parzych
  • Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jan 17 2015, 21:47

Have roommates rent rooms so you arer left with a small mortgage payment (or make money). 

I have two roommates that pay 1500 a month and I'm now able to save a lot because of it.

IRA Club  logo
IRA Club
|
Sponsored
An IRA Administrator Flat fees. No percentages. Grow your retirement fund: Invest in real estate with a self-directed IRA

User Stats

Votes
Joshua D.
  • Investor
  • Columbus, MT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Columbus, MT
Replied Jan 17 2015, 21:52

It is when you take a chainsaw to your living room... JK 

It seems it has been used rather broadly to talk about cutting down your personal expnces through realestate investing.  Example: roommates to share lease, live in flip, buying a live in multifamily. 

User Stats

Votes
Karen Margrave
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorReplied Jan 17 2015, 21:54

@Joshua D. 

Thanks guys! That was quick. That's what I thought it was, but I've seen others use the term in different situations so thought I'd get clarification since I'm a moderator, I need to keep up! 

User Stats

Votes
Greg McLean
  • Systems Analyst
  • Watsonville, CA
Votes |
  • Systems Analyst
  • Watsonville, CA
Replied Oct 30 2015, 19:32

Hello BP! My first official post! I suppose I'm a house hacker. I've been renting rooms in my home for the past 10 years. I currently charge $800 per room. I have two rooms, so that's $19,200 a year. My goal is to save for a down payment on a second home - move in (sorta), and rent the spare rooms. The first home, I would continue to rent the rooms, and also rent the master bedroom. Then, after I've met the 1 year requirement, I'll rent the second home out, and move back into the first. This keeps the friction of moving all my stuff back and forth, and allows me to retain my housemates in the first home. Then, I just rinse and repeat until I reach my goal of (5) homes - four rentals and 1 primary.

Questions:

1. Does this sound feasible?

2. Should I find a third tenant for the second home once I move back to the first home,  or find a family? I'm leaning to a family for the stability of that. Also, I wouldn't have to "keep an eye" on the place as much as three separate tenants.. Thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Valerie Hiscoe
  • Investor
  • Richmond, BC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, BC
Replied Jul 1 2016, 17:04

Just wondering how your plan is going.

User Stats

Votes
Leanne W.
  • Investor
  • Orangeville, Ontario
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orangeville, Ontario
Replied Jul 1 2016, 17:26

Hi Karen,
Brandon turner wrote a post on this called house hacking 101. It should answer your question.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Turner#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Brandon Turner#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied Jul 3 2016, 20:41

In case, you haven't read it yet: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/11/0...

;)

User Stats

Votes
David R Broderick
  • Heber City, UT
Votes |
  • Heber City, UT
Replied Aug 19 2017, 12:27

In the Utah market, the distinction lies in "owner occupied accessory apartment" vs "legal duplex."  It is common to live in a home and rent out a basement or portion of the home - and most municipalities have Planning and Zoning language that defines and supports this, but to assume one can later move out of said property and rent out various, multiple "chunks" of the home is a fallacy, if it is not a legal duplex.  (At least, if you are planning to do it legally).  

Have others found the same dichotomy in their markets?  I've even gone to see properties that were listed as "Legal Triplex," only to find out that it's just a glorified "accessory apartment" that can only be rented out IF THE OWNER OCCUPIES the property.  (Even the realtors are caught up in the conundrum - and the less educated ones (or less ethical) are exploiting the system).

My .02

User Stats

Votes
Rob Cook
  • Powell, WY
Votes |
  • Powell, WY
Replied Oct 14 2017, 18:58

Arlington, VA has what "they" call an "Anti-bordello" law which stated no more than 4 unrelated people can reside in a single family zoned house. Interesting way and historical 'reason" now used to prevent out of control group rentals in neighborhoods. We like these type rentals a lot. We have one, which we bought in 2000, and have 4 unrelated renters, and have never had a SINGLE DAY OF VACANCY in the 17 years ! Why? Because we make ALL sign the lease and each of the 4 is therefore individually and severally liable for the entire $2,600 monthly rent. It makes them seek out and find replacement tenants when necessary all on their own, subject to our approval, of course, and then the new one also must sign the lease. The house is worth over $700K, in a upscale neighborhood (many years ago the Secretary of the Navy lived 3 doors down the street, etc). (I bought it with seller financing for $167K and put $40K into rehab and creating an apartment in basement). Our rent is probably $400 under market, and has not changed since we owned it. Never a complaint either, and the tenants are mostly professionals in their 30's. Amazing.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 8 2019, 13:35

How long do you have to live in a house hacking situation?

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Jul 8 2019, 22:04
Originally posted by @Donaldson Shumpert:

How long do you have to live in a house hacking situation?

Most conventional primary home mortgages require 1 year of occupancy.

As far as how long do you have to live in a 'house hacking situation', I still live in one.  More of a luxury househack vs typical roommates or plex, but still househacking. Lots of different styles of it.

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 8 2019, 23:58

Thxs!