• Investor
  • Mountain View, CA
Votes |
Self Directed IRAs + Non-recourse

Mimi H.
  • Investor
  • Mountain View, CA
Posted Apr 2 2016, 18:36

I'm starting to think more broadly about how to structure different "buckets", one of which is an IRA. I'm potentially interested in rolling an existing IRA into a self directed IRA to purchase a multifamily with the self directed IRA. The funds that I'll have available will not be sufficient to make the purchase and I've read a bit of the following:

• purchases of this sort usually requires ~40% down
  • might be "easier" to go with private lenders than non-recourse mortgages
  • non-recourse mortgages are a niche item and difficult to secure for a small time investor such as myself

Some of the top line questions that I have:

• how does one find non-recourse mortgage lenders? I've done a google search but I'm in the I don't know what I don't know stage so it looks a bit confusing. I don't know the difference between one or the other. 
  • If I make the purchase within an IRA, can I presume that the proceeds go back into the IRA tax deferred?
  • Has anyone done this "successfully" however you'd like to define that (and would like to share?)

Would appreciate any insight on this matter. I'd like to repeat, I am NOT interested in taking funds OUT of my IRA, I wish to purchase within my IRA.

Thank you! :)

Loading replies...