• Rental Property Investor
  • Littleton, CO
Votes |
Time for a Yellow Letter

Garry C.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Littleton, CO
Posted Sep 25 2016, 19:08

So, I'm at my wife's uncle's house for dinner tonight, and it's gossip time. Turns out, the guy next door just passed away about a week ago. Half the family thinks that his wife is probably going to want to sell the place soon. They didn't really like the guy, but say that his wife was super sweet and must be a saint for putting up with him for all those years. Bets are on her wanting to go travel around for a while.

It's a 3/1 on about an acre of land, mixed zoning in Lakewood, CO just west of Denver. There are several 6-12 plexes in the neighborhood, some even on the same block. Lots of new apartments going up all the time. If I don't buy it, someone else will. Since I've got a head start, what's the best way to make sure that it's me instead of that someone else?

Naturally, I'm thinking 'I need to send her a letter'. But what to say?
Should this have a personal touch? Be completely honest, send my condolences, let them know about my relationship with the neighbor, and ask if I can help by buying her out?

Or (and this is the way I'm leaning), should I keep it business-like, as if I've sent this letter to everyone in the neighborhood, and I just happen to have good timing?

Loading replies...