Convert to mother in law, or buy duplex?

3 Replies

Hello all, I recently posted a similar forum but I need a little more advice. I found a property that has enough square footage in a nice neighborhood that I can convert the downstairs into a “mother in law” unit which will allow the upstairs to be rented for a good portion of the mortgage. This will take time and money as the place is a little beat up. I am a HVAC contractor by trade so I can handle a lot of the work on my own. However, I am wondering if this is a good strategy for my first property? Or would it just be better to buy a more expensive duplex that is move in ready (or needs very minor repairs). I am currently on the 2-4 year plan where I live so I would want to sell the mother in law place when leaving. The duplex I could maybe keep renting? Could owning a mother in law hinder my ability to buy a second live in property? I am a little nervous as I don’t see a lot of talk about mother in laws being considered a rental property strategy. Thanks All!
Originally posted by @Eric Kissinger :
Hello all,

I recently posted a similar forum but I need a little more advice. I found a property that has enough square footage in a nice neighborhood that I can convert the downstairs into a “mother in law” unit which will allow the upstairs to be rented for a good portion of the mortgage. This will take time and money as the place is a little beat up. I am a HVAC contractor by trade so I can handle a lot of the work on my own. However, I am wondering if this is a good strategy for my first property? Or would it just be better to buy a more expensive duplex that is move in ready (or needs very minor repairs). I am currently on the 2-4 year plan where I live so I would want to sell the mother in law place when leaving. The duplex I could maybe keep renting? Could owning a mother in law hinder my ability to buy a second live in property? I am a little nervous as I don’t see a lot of talk about mother in laws being considered a rental property strategy.

Thanks All!

Hi Eric,

Instead of searching for "mother in law unit," try "accessory dwelling unit" or "ADU." :)

Right thank you Chris.

Just curious if this is a good plan. I guess I won’t know unless I try.

Thanks!

ADUs are a good plan in a rental strategy because they can give you a high rate of return for a low investment. However if you choose to sell, bank's many times value ADUs at what they call a contributory rate and it may only be 15% of what a stand-alone dwelling would be valued at. So if you're planning on selling, the duplex maybe the better route.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.