Marty Summers
  • Bradenton, FL
Votes |
Mold in SFR Basement

Marty Summers
  • Bradenton, FL
Posted Jul 12 2019, 18:38

Guys need some guidence!

Have a SFR w/Basement. Laundry room and a once small bedroom or utility room (never advertised as a room) in the basement.

Tenent calls because basement walls leak and she suspects mold and mildew.

6 days later I get a mold guy to run tests and it takes few days to get back.

Mold report looks higher than normal downstairs for black mold and others. Upstairs shows traces of black mold but should be zero.

I called remediation company today to have quote performed on Monday to tear the drywall out of the basement where the mold is mostly growing.

Tenent put her autistic son (set up as a bedroom in that utility room). I explained we will do what we can before the tests but no guarantees that I can fix and old basement walls leaks. However, will immediately take care of any mold found. Which as of today that is what we found.

So here are my questions:

1. When I get the mold remediation company out there, I plan on having any drywall removed down there including that utility room where they claimed it some sort of bedroom. I do not have any intention in making the basement a livable area. Is that ok? Anyone ever dealt with this before?

2. How much time do I have to get things remediated before a tenent could possibly claim health issues in the courts eye?

3. Any suggestions or advice is needed here.

Thank you!

-Marty

Loading replies...