Skip to content
Innovative Strategies

User Stats

Votes
John Williams
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
What is BIGGEST hurdle you are facing right now?

John Williams
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Clarksville, TN
Posted Jul 11 2020, 08:39

My biggest challenge is my DTI. This problem caught up to me faster than I ever thought it would! After acquiring a few properties over a couple of years, my "debts" quickly outpaced my W2 salary. I put that in quotation marks because I don't feel the weight of this debt at all. This debt was used to purchase these cash-flowing rental properties and I have a decent reserve. HOWEVER, banks see this and DO NOT like it (especially in today's lending environment). Most lenders demand a 2-year history at a minimum to count this rental income towards my DTI.

My investments are pretty young. I probably have another year of "waiting" before most banks will consider these assets to be stabilized.

I could just play the waiting game, but why pass up good deals in the meantime? Is my best bet to use asset-based loans? I am a little hesitant because rates on these loans seem to be in the 8-10% interest rate range. It sounds high...but it may be my only way if I want to continue to buy-and-hold additional properties. 

That is currently my biggest hurdle. What is the biggest thing holding you back RIGHT NOW? And what are you doing about it?

-John Williams

Investor from Clarksville, TN

Loading replies...