Jerome Caldito
Pro Member
Votes |
Eviction options to owner occupy during COVID-19

Jerome Caldito
Pro Member
Posted Nov 12 2020, 15:40

Looking for solutions:
For those in Los Angeles County / San Gabriel Valley area, what options are there to no-fault evict inherited tenants in order to occupy a unit? Am I out of luck due to the eviction moratorium? I see properties selling with tenants paying below market rent so there has to be a plan that works.

Back-story:
I'm looking to purchase a duplex in the San Gabriel valley area in California. The goal is to provide housing for my in-laws and then collect rental income from the other unit. I found a property I like that checks most of my boxes and had my offer ready, but found out there's a moratorium specific to the city. End date of the moratorium is whenever the local emergency ends. The tenants are paying rent about $1500 below market. Both tenants are month to month. Current eviction moratorium prevents me from doing a no-fault eviction to house my in-laws and remodel the other unit to bring it up to market rent. This means every month the moratorium gets extended, I'd be losing $1500-2000 (difference between the mortgage and rental income). I'm familiar with AB 1482 (CA state rent control) and what I can raise rents by, but I'd still be losing cash for several years or until the moratorium is lifted.

I'm trying to figure out a way to make purchasing a duplex with tenants in place work, but I've reached a bunch of dead ends. Especially when I can't evict for the foreseeable future. What solutions do you know of or have seen work when purchasing with existing tenants and the moratorium in place? 

Thanks.

Loading replies...