• Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Real Estate Financial Analyst Seeking Work/Mentorship

Jack Day
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jan 15 2022, 11:49

Hey BP Community! My name is Jack, I'm a Real Estate Senior Financial Analyst working a W2 job at a large REIT that specializes in Single Family rentals. My goal in 2022 is to complete my first real estate transaction, specifically a fix & flip or BRRRR out-of-state. I am actively networking at local meetup events in the LA area and spend the majority of my free time learning about real estate investing. I have a great understanding of real estate investing through self-study, analyzing deals, and through my current role as an analyst. Prior to my current role, I worked in public accounting for a few years. My entire professional career (4.5 years) has been in accounting/finance roles.

I'm reaching out to my local LA investors to see if any of you may need help in their business on the financial/analytical side. I love helping other people and I would love the opportunity to bring some of my skills to the table to help out a local investor. I'm very eager to learn and really motivated to meet my 2022 goal of doing my first real estate transaction.

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Jack Day

(Located in West LA/Santa Monica/Venice)

User Stats

Votes
Chris Webb
  • Investor
  • Central Virginia
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Virginia
Replied Jan 15 2022, 12:32

Hi @Jack Day, I am curious because of your W2 position, what metrics are you going to use to measure success in a deal? 

User Stats

Votes
Jack Day
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 15 2022, 13:09

@Chris Webb Hey Chris thanks for replying! To measure success in any potential deal that I analyze I start with knowing the market the property is in and what to expect in that market. 
Is this a market I can expect substantial cash flow in & the 1% rule is applicable or is this a high appreciation market where a large downpayment may be required for cash flow. Once I have a good understanding of the market I get more into the numbers calculating NOI, ROI, debt pay-down, tax deduction/ROI on tax savings, appreciation & rent growth. After knowing the numbers I use those numbers to create a financing plan for the acquisition. If the property is distressed and likely not going to qualify for conventional financing I include interest expense from private money/hard money into my calculations to see if the property is still a good deal. This sums up a high level approach to my analyzing, although it is not all inclusive of everything that needs to be done/looked at before making the decision.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Erik B.
  • California
Votes |
  • California
Replied Jan 16 2022, 07:18

@Jack Day super cool that you're working as a Real Estate Financial Analyst.  I'm admittedly horrible at that stuff.  We're about a week away from closing (fingers crossed nothing crazy happens) on our first 4 unit here in the South Bay.  We're also looking to start looking out of state for once we stabilize the property. Looking forward to connecting.   

User Stats

Votes
Jack Day
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 16 2022, 15:01

@Erik B. Congratulations on your first Mulitfamily Erik that's awesome! I have faith that the deal will close smoothly for you. I'll send you a PM, would love to discuss out-of-state investing with you. 

User Stats

Votes
Nick Hedberg
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Venice, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Venice, CA
Replied Jan 28 2022, 12:18

Hi @Jack Day, I'm planning on doing a BRRR with my contractor this year. Let's grab a cup of coffee. I'll send you a PM. My office is in the Marina.

KW Advisors Logo